Notices

Searching for the light

Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Searching for the light

Hello all-
This is my first time posting on soberrecovery, but i have been reading the forums for years. These past few months have been lifechanging, and i would like to share my experience. It is therapeutic, and i hope it may remind some who are considering drinking again, reconsider. For the sake of time and space I won't go into too much detail, but I still would like to share.
I just turned 21, and for most people that is a time for fun, a proud milestone that opens the door to many new experiences; for me, it was one of the worst. I have drank alcoholically from the minute i was introduced to liquor, and by the time i was 18 I was in rehab, subsequently in jail, and without hope. Through the program of Alcoholics anonymous i was able to get my life back, recover my spirituality, and mend my relationships. I was able to go back to school, play college basketball again (which I had thrown away due to the drink) and become a son, a brother, an employee, and a friend.

I fell away from my support group a few months ago and got busy. I had 11 months sober, and i thought, "hey, i feel fine. i feel normal, i dont crave alcohol. what's one night of drinking going to cause?" i took that drink, and there were no consequences. i went out a few more times, with only minor consequences. here i sit, three months later- with no job, dropped out of school, nowhere to live, and very little hope. I am the variety of alcoholic who drinks all day, every day, until I pass out. the progression is insane! two or three times drinking, and two months later I'm drinking a quart of vodka a day, at 21, which is sheer insanity.

My purpose in posting this, is to emphasize the point that although you may gain material things, although you may get your life back on track, if you aren't dilligent in your recovery efforts it can all be take away so quickly. I ended up in the E.R. two nights ago with severe withdrawal, and i was lucky to make it out alive. I don't know where to go from here, but i began an outpatient program. I don't know what will happen next, but I'm praying that if i focus on my recovery, doors will open. I am scared, uncertain, detoxing (under the care of a doctor) and lost. just remember- one is too many, and a thousand is never enough.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing part of your story enigmaticreleas.
I'm really glad you found us and decided to join the posting of things - welcome

D
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Go back to those meetings. I have a feeling you're going to find that light.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're still with us.

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm 11 months sober thanks to AA and your story gives me strength. I think a lot of people can read this and either relate or learn from it.

I hope you come back to AA and regain the strength you had. Through your positive experiences I have no doubt that you can get back on your feet. I hope you do as well. I'm in your corner.

Take care!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing.

For me, it's very important to remember that the first, second or even third time I drink after a period of sobriety is not the problem - because those times are usually not "awful", I trick myself into thinking I have things under control. But, inevitably, after a handful of times drinking I always end up drinking every day and ALL day.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thanks for sharing enigma.

Got that right. Do right for your recovery and your recovery will do back for you. I quit at 24. You're even younger. Awesome. Welcome to SR! Take it easy and just get it done.