Notices

Horrifying reminders

Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrifying reminders

I try and get to meetings 2 to 5 times a week. I know which ones I like. Big book meetings and twelve and twelve do it for me.

Anyway....in the last 2 meetings I attended there were 2 announcements at the conclusion of the meetings followed by a minutes silence after each.

One announcement was about a guy that attended my meeting who had picked up and was doing it really tough. He had 7 years up. He took his life by throwing himself from the roof off a local mall.

The other announcement was that Gilli, who was a regular at another of my meetings who had a year up had busted some time ago and was really struggling. She was found dead in her apartment at age 33. Her body had apparently given up and her organs had simply shut down.

At my worst before I got sober I often marveled at the fact that I hadn't had a heart attack or something in my sleep. Taking a "it won't happen to me approach" was part of my denial. Recently had a total health check up and came out like a shiny penny which I am grateful for.

Didn't mean to post this as a bummer thing to bring everyone down but just a reminder that it happens. This is serious stuff we are playing with. It's a reality that it is more than a string of bad hangovers, more than blackouts, more than shame and embarrassment, more than low self esteem, more than strained relationships. The line between here and there is seemingly as fine as we are told in the rooms.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for this. Seems like after some sober time if we go back to the bottle we hit it up even harder than before. Almost to make up for lost time. Scary stuff.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Guy came into my meeting last night. Said he had been sober 5 years. He relapsed 8 years ago and has been unable to stop drinking since. Physically cannot stop.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Speaking to an older guy in one of my meetings he says to me" I know I have another bust in me but I honestly don't think I have another recovery". He is holding on to his sobriety for dear life.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It was insane at the end of my drinking. I pretty much was in a blackout every time I drank at the very end.
I hear these people posting on here saying they don't know how they will have fun after they quit drinking and they're posting it on a recovery site.
I wonder what makes people think they are having fun as they are flushing their lives down a toilet
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's the thing about the booze. It warped my perspective so badly, so insidiously and so gradually that my judgement went to hell in a hand basket. Being sober is such a great place to be.