Notices

Avoid my mom?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Avoid my mom?

So my mom lives about 90 minutes out of town and I went to visit her today. She is a wine-o and I am sure she has been a major influence on my drinks of choice when I was drinking. I told before I came that I had stopped drinking officially. She never offered me a drink and told me she was happy for me and all, but there were bottles everywhere. "Can you get the baby a teether from the freezer.." And then there was tequila in the freezer. Plus the wine rack was full, two open bottles on the counter, and one in the fridge. So that was rough.

My mom said today that she didn't think she had a drinking problem, and said it was a matter of opinion. I really don't feel like arguing with her... So do I avoid my mom or what?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Brian, alcoholic. My mom is a big wine drinker also. How long have you been sober?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you find visiting her is hard I think it's ok not to do that for a while.
Different reasons but I communicated with my folks by phone for a long time.

D
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you should avoid her for awhile. Maybe you can tell her and she will be supportive?

I understand though. I live with my parents and they have a full bar. And they drink every night.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live with a husband that drinks every night and it does not bother me. I visit my daughter who is a daily wine drinker, again, to me it is a choice. It did not bother me. I don't drink. There is alcohol in every store I go in, I don't buy it because I don't drink. If it bothers you then maybe you should stay away till you feel stronger. Each of us is different. Your being sober is your priority and you have to protect it daily. I would do whatever it takes. Think it through and make the best choice for you. You are doing great in realizing it might be a problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's difficult so perhaps you can avoid her for a while if you mean it is tempting you. If you are just worried about her, I'm afraid unless people want to help themselves, there is little you can do. xxxxx
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
Hi, I'm Brian, alcoholic. My mom is a big wine drinker also. How long have you been sober?
This is day 9
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually am in the same situation as Jade and I agree with Tx. Unfortunately in our society in general alcohol is everywhere. I personally don't feel like I have to hide from it or avoid it anymore but I'm still not gonna walk up and put myself right next to it either. My parents drink daily and early in the evening I can be cautiously sociable with them but when I can tell they are getting buzzed I usually go elsewhere. This was harder for me to deal with earlier in my sobriety though. I would say if you feel like its a true threat to your sobriety you might want to lay low for a while and if your mom asks tell her the truth. Be careful how you phrase it tho (try not to sound condascending) because if she's really addicted she may get defensive.