Notices

Does it take a year to recover from drinking?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A year is a rough estimate. I noticed things lifting around eight months.

It's still getting better at a year and a half. I hear two years is even better.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope it doesn't take a year
Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Looking forward,a year seams like such a looong time. But once you quit and make it a year,and look back. The day you quit a year ago will seem like yesterday. But that is why we only stay focused on staying sober today,and not a year from now.
I drank everyday for about 30 years. So when I buried my "friend Mr. Booze" obviously I had to figure out new ways to spend my leisure time.
The first 30 to 90 days were like a turbulent hurricane. After that the weather settled down somewhat,with sever thunderstorms and tornadic activity popping up out of nowhere at times.
The addiction was broken for the most part at 90 days with some flair ups after that. But the emotional roller coaster ride did last at least a year.
After drinking every day for 30 years,I didn't know what normal was.
But I do know for a fact,drinking everyday is NOT normal. Therefore,the only way to RETURN to normal is to not drink.
Fred
Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Randummy

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
That's a good question!

I am little over eighteen months and just yesterday I had bad craving. Haven't had one in months! Never saw it coming, either. This is why my mantra has always been....No matter what happens, or how I feel, not today.

I can't tell you how many times that mantra has saved my butt. Recovery is like the wind. One day you feel like "i've got this" Eeezee Peezee, and six months later, Wooooooo Jesus! WTF did that come from? Those brace yourself moments don't happen as frequently as they used to, but Good Lord they're still there...like an occasional stiff breeze.

Hope this makes sense.
"Recovery is like the wind", that's really insightful, I like that.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

As said before, focus on the fact that you're getting better every day. It might not feel like it at times, but you are, and that's only going to continue. I think this is massively important to remember.

I'm no expert on recovery, but I have almost 4 months now which is the longest I have gone without drinking since I started (7-8 years ago). I found that the first 6-8 weeks I noticed a huge improvement both physically and mentally. Thankfully, I can still feel myself recovering, albeit at a slower pace. I am looking forward to the coming months and my continued recovery.

Just take it one day at a time. We all drank different and we are all wired differently so of course recovery is different for everyone. You might not feel 'better' now, you might not even feel it next month or the month after, but as long as you don't drink, you WILL feel it. That's a promise.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Don't let that scare you. Gradually you start getting back abilities you had forgotten you had. It's not like you are sitting there just waiting to get all better. You get a little better and you think that's pretty cool. It's not until you look back and add it all up that you realize just how far you fell.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't feel good at the minute, more of a neutral state...don't feel good but I don't feel bad either. Because this is the longest I have gone without drinking i sometimes feel like this is it, this is the new normal for me now, but I have to keep reminding myself I will feel better each month.

People would ask me how I'm feeling and I would tell them I still need more time after 2 months, more like 6 plus months and they don't believe me...they think after a week sober its no longer me recovering, just my mood etc...little do they know that's not the case.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Here's the article I was going to post.

Alcohol Free: What Happens When You Stop Drinking. How Long to Normal?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I took me a good few months to feel tip-top xxx
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am 4 months in and while I feel a lot better mentally and physically I still have a way to go. Please don't let that discourage you. Being sober beats hungover any day of the week. I am still quite tired and I didn't lose any weight which I was really looking forward to but that's just the way it goes. I smoked heavily which definitely added to my poor physical health so I know in my case it will take a bit more than a few weeks to feel tip top.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I just pray for the next few months to get even better....I have no cravings whatsoever and definitely going thru this will make never ever want to drink again....anxiety is one go the worst things I've ever experienced....when it first hit me I didn't even know what it Wawa's because I've never experienced it before...stupid me didn't even correlate it to me stopping drinking back then but it started 9 days after I quit drinking but at the time I didn't even know there was an alcohol withdrawal honestly
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm going to be at 8 months in a few days. I have realized I have to be careful not to use any set notions of where I should be "by xyz" against myself. It occurred to me that I could actually use my sobriety date as a battering ram to tell myself I am not where I should be….
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post

I found an article where someone claims it takes a year to fully recover from heavy drinking.
it seems that one should give themselves at least one year
before expecting too much from sobriety
although most see great results much sooner

note
I have even heard that it takes up to 2 years
for body, mind and spiritual recovery
we must remember here (in most cases)
some sad to say never fully recover
some will suffer from brain damage
organ damage
or possibly even a hardened heart - spiritual damage

Mountainman

Last edited by Mountainmanbob; 02-25-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: 1 year ?? 2 years ?? or what ??
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post alwayssober! Reading everyones responses is bit he encouraging and discouraging at the same time... im only nearing two weeks, and its been a hell of a roller coaster... so a year is sounding pretty daunting
Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Depends hugely on how well you want to get well. Some people never recover, and they go to many meetings, but not work no steps. Some recover quite quickly because they work the 12 steps. I have seen old timers with 10+ years in that have not recovered, I have seen newcomers with 6 months in that have way better sobriety then most oldtimers do.

Quantity means nothing, Quality means everything.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
No matter what happens, or how I feel, not today.
LOVE this. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You can do it Holly...some people don't have it nearly as rough and if you take it day by day it seems easier ��
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Awesome link Alwayssober definitely encouraging
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
AA member

Physically I felt better almost immediately.

Mentally it took several years to feel better.I deal with things a lot differently now than when first sober.It takes time to be beaten by booze,it takes time to recover.

A leading physciatrist in the UK who deals with Alcoholics,states it takes between 5 and 7 years for an Alcoholic's mind to clear after putting the drink down.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Would like some of what your uncles got!!