Notices

I'm shocked

Old 02-21-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm shocked

Sometimes I have bouts of self pity, and then life gives me a much needed kick in the ass and I am reminded how good I actually have it...

I called around to my Grans this morning. She asked me how I was and I was telling her I am worried about my job interview on Monday.

She told me not to worry about it too much. She said "I know you of old dear, you will be fretting about it all weekend. And you will be worrying about things not being perfect. And I know it will hurt if you don't get it. But things could be so much worse"...

She then went on to tell me about a friend of my aunts. Her husband had his testicles removed this week. The cancer is quite bad apparently. She then went on to tell me about her daughter. They had to lock her in the bedroom this week to wait for the doctor as she is suffering from a serious eating disorder. I am still sitting here stunned by this as I met this woman loads of times...

Then my Gran said "go upstairs and say hello to your aunt. She's in bed but she would like to see you". I went up and she was sitting up in bed. She looked very pale but she has been like that since my uncle died four months ago. She was wearing a cardigan buttoned up to the neck. She said "hey Tetra, I feel a bit sick since I had some work done last Wednesday". My eyebrows shot up because I thought she meant a facelift or something. Then she laughed and said "I'm only pulling your leg. I had a cyst removed from my thyroid" and she rolled down her top and she has a big bandage on her throat.

I'm still stunned. My life is far from perfect, but I just feel incredibly lucky right now. I didn't do any permanent damage to myself as a result of my alcoholism. I'm thinking of this quote:

"“If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.”

― Regina Brett
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are a sweetheart and a kind soul.

Be strong.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too remember being locked in a room for a different reason with my wallet taken off me. I never want to see that look in my fathers eyes again. I am happy to be considered trustworthy and responsible. It has taken a lot of work to get here but I think I am in a good place right now x
Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's great to be reminded that our problems are different than others in many ways - especially because we have control over them, and alcoholism need not be a lifelong issue. We often feel we are carrying a great weight...but sometimes we forget we can put down this bag of bricks and live free!

I think you will do great on the interview! Perhaps you should get EXCITED about this opportunity and smile and think happy thoughts - I bet you will nail it