Notices

hi All

Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi All

brief history - i am mike from Leeds England and I am an alcoholic
Have suffered with anxiety . panic for 20 years and have self medicated for that time

Its only since been made redundant in May last year that it escalated have done 3 home detox and one in December for 10 days

Fell off the wagon over xmas but today is day 1 - no more my liver has problems and I need to get my head clear to look for work properly

Bit nervous today as day 1 but i have a couple of diazepam to help ............

thanks for reading

Mike
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mike - you'll find an incredible amount of support here

Support really made the difference for me - it turned things around from a stop start thing to lasting sobriety.

Glad you found us

D
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Dee - think I am running out of chances ....dare not tell my doctor so will have to brave it out

Mike
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Mike and. Well done on day 1 xxxx
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Day 2 here. We can do this!!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike. Glad you found SR. There are wonderful people here to help you.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike!!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mike! I am glad that you are here. You CAN do this. Welcome to SR!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Mike, welcome to SR. Keep close to SR and post as much s you can. It will help and there is a lot of support. Stay strong, stay calm, stay sober !
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.
Gutsy effort to try to white knuckle it out alone.
One thing I have learned is that this is not something we can "brace it out ourselves".
If it were me I would tell my Doctor.
Taking Diazepam to control the anxiety and calm yourself is substituting.
A visit to the Doctor is warranted as a first step.
The second thing I learned is that recovery without honesty is doomed to fail.
You need to be 100% with your Doctor, both from a medical and psychological point of view. That is, the Doctor will ask you questions about your drinking habits and its effects on your day to day life and will undertake an exam and assessment around that. So rigorous honesty is crucial. Without disclosing your mental health issues the Doctor will not be able to refer you to further treatment.
You also need to be honest with yourself.
The third thing I learned is to seek information and inspiration. You will find both here on SR but you should also consider community based treatment modalities and support for alcoholism whatever is in your area. AA may also help and by going to a meeting you may not only get help and people who will listen but you will be helping them in their recovery.
Good luck mate and keep coming back.
John
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mike. I've been a high level, usually daily alcohol drinker since 1982. I've been sober several times for 2 pregnancies, a 10 month stretch after inpatient recovery treatment, and most of last year. But like you, relapsed at Christmas. Was drinking 2 1/2 liters of Chardonnay a day and was totally dysfunctional till 4 days ago.

I needed medical detox and didn't go after stopping alcohol intake 4 days ago. This morning, after 3 days of insomnia and about 6 hours of fitful sleep, I had a tachycardia attack that lasted for a frightening 5 minutes.

I've been to the ER for tachycardia where they had to inject me with stuff to stop and start my heart again. That last ER visit about a year ago, my blood alcohol level was .576 I have an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow morning. It is the appointment I SHOULD have made to go to 2 days ago. In my head, I thought I shouldn't tell my doctor I had relapsed - and quite badly - for the past 6 weeks. Shame kept me from doing what I knew I SHOULD have done.

So - you are doing the right thing by quitting drinking. It only gets worse. It only gets longer. It only gets lower. In my case, I have a chance to get it and get it right instead of repeating what I know doesn't work. BUT I'm also 100% straight with my doctor. He's seen my relapses and he's also seen my determination over the past 2 years. I'm determined to be a victor in my battle - not a victim.

I hope you will sincerely consider seeing your doctor and letting him / her know what is going on right now. They "usually" are compassionate and won't judge. They know what you are going through physically - and they can help. They WILL help. You just have to be willing to take the help offered and do great things with it.

Hoping the best for you and your recovery in all aspects.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks guys for your replies - it means a lot

My GP only works Monday Thursday and Friday so have organised a call back tomorrow

on 36 hours now - ate last night and slept fairly well

Woke up with anxiety / palpitations and a bit sweaty but no hallucinations etc etc and waking up anxious is common place for me sober or not

I will be honest with my GP am just scared they will strike me off as been here SO many times

Mike
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Consistent sobriety will help you with the anxiety, but it takes time.

If you're not working it might be a good time to do an inpatient detox for a week or so.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

Well done on your sobriety, your nearly at the 2 day mark now.

Your doctor might give you something to help with the withdrawal, but if you want to be successful long term you probably already know you're gonna have to do something to overcome the anxiety. Also prescribed meds can be bad for your liver as well.

If you can find a way to relieve your anxiety, then you learn a way to control your alcohol.

Best of luck.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike, all the best buddy.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just wanted to report back to you - the DR. appointment went well. He did not react to my relapse except to encourage more activity toward AA or other constructives. He took vitals, checked blood, and provided me with support to get through the detox phase. I hope you have the same experience and support. Stay with it.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well done!! Before I stopped drinking my last doctors visit was as a child, these past few months I've been more than I've ever been in my life though I did quit cold turkey, if I could go back in time i would still be drinking now all be it tapering.

I'm not gonna lie your probably in for hell these next few months, my first few days were bliss I thought to my self...wow how easy...and then boom gotcha!, I never thought anxiety could be some god dam powerful!, I even drank a beer in the early weeks to try to get rid of the anxiety, and it just made it worse.

3 months in I'm starting to level out, sleeping is getting a little easier. The anxiety disorder is my problem now not the alcohol! but if you can beat one you can beat the other eh? I'm on my way, although I'm not there yet, I'm happy I'm on the journey

Take every bit of help you are offered! Even if you really don't want to. If it was at all possible I'd give you a right good pat on the back!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome mje Mike; this is a great place for support.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not sure what home detox is, perhaps its just detoxing on your own at home rather then a spin dry at a medical facility, or it might be a doctor at your house, who knows, its a British thing I guess. Well the good news is you put down the bottle, now its time to get to work on your sobriety. Work and more work. Action and more action. Without it, we end up sucking on a bottle again like a little baby does with its milk.