Notices

Dreading the day

Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Dreading the day

I only have a little over a week sober. Weekends are fine for me because they are so busy with stuff to do for the kids....but I dread Mondays. Specifically 1pm onward when my youngest goes down for a nap. That time should be spent cleaning up around here, doing laundry and otherwise keeping the house in order....but inevitably that time turns into the time of day (every day) that I obsess about alcohol and going to the liquor store.

Here we go again...praying I do not drink today. Literally.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PLEASE keep prayin!!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

take a listen while you clean something, not everything, just something!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for that link!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
....but inevitably that time turns into the time of day (every day) that I obsess about alcohol and going to the liquor store.
A time of day that passes, as will the obsession. If you resist the urge to drinking.

It gets easier, but only if you maintain sobriety. That's the only way to break the cycle.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

habit

I was just like u obsessing about heading to liquor store. First thought when I woke up out of bed every single day. Maybe that's become your habit that time of the day to drink. Cuz I did notice it seems to be habitual..when u get off work, etc. Don't let alcohol have POWER over u when u think of buying it. I grew very sick and tired of alcohol controlling my every thought and every move. And alcohols control over me grew worse slowly over many years. I used to still function. Later I could not make it to work anymore, end of story. When alcohol creeps up into your mind...be stronger than it. Don't allow the crap to have power over u today. That's when I learned what One Day at a Time really meant. I hear ya! Beating alcohol is not easy! I still think daily of buying it! This disease has been very difficult for me also. Good luck today to you.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's already in my head now....but I really want to go to a meeting tonight, if not only to just be around my own kind for one hour out of the rest of the flipping day where I pretend to be a normal housewife and mother. I'll never make it to a meeting if I drink.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

meeting

That's good...concentrate that way u gotta be sober to get to meeting. I use thoughts like that also. I am not a Mom so I always had free reign to get wasted day or night. And so then I pretty much drank 24-7. I wish u the Best!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, instead of saying, "I only have a little over a week sober..." - say "Holy Crap - I DID IT. I did it EVERY DAY for a week! That means I can do it today. Just today." Take it hour by hour if you have to, but you've already proven you CAN do this. Also - it might help to think of (in gruesome detail) the reasons why you wanted to finally get off the merry go round. This precious time you have with your kids you can never get back...watch the little one taking a nap this afternoon, and find your inspiration to stay sober.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about that down time. My husband works until about 11:00 pm four nights a week. When I'm struggling, I have all these hours after one of mine goes to bed that I'm alone and obsessing about stuff. I also know it would be pretty easy to get away with it since I'm in bed by the time hubby gets home.

But of course, that's assuming I can control the outcome of my drinking, which I know I can't. it's assuming the drinking will be a one-time affair, which it won't. It's also assuming that alcohol is a good solution for what I'm thinking and feeling, which I know it isn't. And it's assuming I want to become that person I was when I was drinking (secretive, lying, manipulative, irresponsible), which I don't.

Scare tactics aren't a good solution long term, but since I am watching my kids at the time, when I get desperate I think of the things that could happen while I'm drinking that would effect them or hurt them. I'm an excellent worrier, so this works to my advantage!

So along with a lot of prayer, I remind myself of those things. I hope your day goes well, and that it is so busy, drinking doesn't even occur to you! But if it does, you can always come on here and tell us about it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Plus - I don't know about you guys, but my dh always knew when I was drinking after I promised him I wouldn't. I didn't know that he knew right away, but later found he did. I cannot tell you how low it made me feel to have lied to him (even before he told me he knew). I felt I crossed yet another line with the drinking (that in the past I would've never imagined crossing) when I lied about it. It's only been 2 weeks for me, but I am feeling better about myself as a human being, and more the self I was before alcohol ever came into the picture so many (20+) years ago.