Notices

Alcoholic..moments of clarity

Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic..moments of clarity

I had these when I was drinking heavy and when I first got sober. Usually wake up in the middle of the night. Everything would seem so overwhelming but also so clear. I don't know if this is clarity or more delusion but it seems real when it happens. i still get these once in a while. Its like a spirit trying to

wake me up..to make me realize what I'm doing with my life. It fills me with worry and shame. I don't know if these moments are normal or even common. They do seem to be related to my night terrors which i still get from time to time. Does anybody else get these moments?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so crazy , I just go along . What is normal ? Does anyone know
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've not had but a couple in all the years I've been sober . I will say the few drinking dreams I've had were so vivid that one of them I woke up from I was convinced I had to turn my 14 year coin back in
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I had these when I was drinking heavy and when I first got sober. Usually wake up in the middle of the night. Everything would seem so overwhelming but also so clear. I don't know if this is clarity or more delusion but it seems real when it happens. i still get these once in a while. Its like a spirit trying to

wake me up..to make me realize what I'm doing with my life. It fills me with worry and shame. I don't know if these moments are normal or even common. They do seem to be related to my night terrors which i still get from time to time. Does anybody else get these moments?
No idea if you're describing something that used to happen to me, but what used to happen to me was absolutely drug induced. I'm not sure what things I smoked as a kid, but I've a feeling I smoked things that made my future pot smoking trigger all kinds of crazy, often scary stuff. My pot experience is not the experience I hear described by others. But that didn't stop me from smoking it. Anyhow, I would get thes realizations that seemed almost like the key to the universe. Like I'd finally figured something out that nobody else ever had. And then I'd always lose that thought.

Although rare, I still get something of that sort. Usually when I'm in a half sleep. Something will come to me that will be like a "DUH!!!" moment. A brilliant realization that I can't for the life of me figure how I didn't know before. I commit to remembering it when I wake up in the morning, and rarely do. The few times I actually did remember, it was nothing earth shattering, and/or didn't make any sense.

If that's what you're talking about, yeah it's happened to me. If it's something else you're talking about, can't help ya .

On a related thought though, in my early sobriety the U2 song "Bad" was popular on the radio. I very much related the true, new clarity I now had being sober, with that song. I felt "wide awake" for the first time in my life, and loved the feeling. Felt like most the people around me were still sleeping. Related that song to one person in particular actually, who never did wind up getting sober. She was the first person I witnessed losing her life to alcohol.

I prefer being wide awake.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had moments of clarity while laying in bed recovering from a binge. The biggest one I got was reading the Big Book of AA. I realized I wasn't alone. It helped me immensly.
I had other moments when I would realize I was an alcoholic, but of course, I ignored them and continued to drink.
These moments would fill me with shame at first, too. Then, I realized it was a higher power or my own mind or something telling me to wake up and get sober.
I did. It's been three years now and those moments have stopped. I finally listened.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Joe that sort of reminds me of my acid trips - figured everything out on my first trip 16years old. Literally figured out how to solve all the World's problems - wrote it down could not decipher the next day. That progression continued till I had a bad trip, which lasted a few days and could not come out of begging my friends to take me to the hospital as I was Oding hard. I survived, I guess.

Cabo - I have some moments - usually is dream state induced though. I get a calm and sense of peace that overcomes me and what I need to do seems so clear. Its often the right things too. Whatever you want to call it whether its you helping you or an external force, I think its positive and I would go with it.

Good luck.