Notices

Day 1 Take 4 - Questions about withdrawal

Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Take 4 - Questions about withdrawal

Going at it again, last drink was last night. This is my fourth attempt. Previous ones lasted 1, 8, and 3 months respectively. I'm a man in my late twenties.

Spent most of the day in bed, napping or just resting. I can't say I feel great, but it's not horrible. No headache, no nausea, just that rubber-band pressure around the skull that I know is hangover-induced anxiety and a general sense of unease.

Despite this, every time I think that I am now sober I am filled with an elation that resonates on a physical level.

However I am concerned about this: I've read that sometimes acute withdrawal can set in up to 48–72 hours after the last drink. Is that true? I'm not expecting medical advice here, just wondering if I am silly to worry about this. I've never had withdrawal, even last time I quit, when I had drank 3 fifths of whisky and 6 liters of wine in 3 days right before stopping.

Last night I had half a bottle of 96-proof whiskey and half a 75cl bottle of wine. The night before last I had a 12-pack of 9% beer.

Like I mentioned, I'm mostly feeling okay. Not great, but I've had hangovers way worse than this. Just wondering if it's possible that I'll have a bit of a surprise in 3 days and start shaking and whatnot...

Another question: I'm kind of wondering whether soaking in a bath would be a good idea or if it would tax the heart a bit much in what must already be a stressful time?

Last edited by quadrant; 01-20-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know if I'm going to withdrawal about 12 hours into my last drink but it's really hard to answer that because it depends on a lot of things. Like how long your bender was or how much you were consuming daily. I've never had symptoms past three days, personally. Make sure you drink a ton of water, take all your vitamins, and move. Even if the moving is loading the dishwasher. I judge how much longer I have before I feel normal by how many things I can do until I can manage to get to the gym.

As for the bath, I've done that but I prefer to sweat it out on the couch with episodes of Scrubs on Netflix.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first 72 hours are the danger point. That's true.

If you're concerned in anyway, it's good to see a Dr.

I've never heard of taking a bath being taxing for the heart but I'm no Doctor

D
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I suppose my question, more specifically, is whether withdrawal can occur even after beginning to feel better.

That the hangover goes away and then you get a surprise major withdrawal. Is that possible?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The first 72 hours are the danger point. That's true.

If you're concerned in anyway, it's good to see a Dr.

I've never heard of taking a bath being taxing for the heart but I'm no Doctor

D
I hadn't heard of that one either Dee until I spoke to my Doctor who issued me withdrawal medication about what to avoid during withdrawal. She said hot baths are a bad idea as they increase the heart rate. She also said to not smoke cigarettes or do any exercise above gentle walking, presumably because these activities also increase the heart rate. And of course no caffeine ! Good to know these things I guess...
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will have to agree with MattyBoy here. I thought my heart was going to explode when I forced myself to go to the gym and get on the treadmill. Turns out my resting BP was like 180/100.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get past the first few days and your on the home straight with regards physical withdrawals!!

I was late 20's too when I first tried to quit, Dr based on blood pressure etc said I could go cold turkey, and worse it got was extreme tiredness, headaches and mood swings.

I'd check with a Dr if things get too rough though!!

PS . . . 96-proof whiskey?!!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been very lucky/Blessed not to have any Acute W/D symptoms that I was aware of. I'am on my 4th quit this year (do it til you get it right)...Day 8 and so far has been smooth. I DO keep an eye on my BP that I monitor at home and if anything, it has elevated slightly but certainly not "Spiked". By day 6-7 it is back to normal and even a little better (lower).

I/we should drink water...LOTS of water. It takes a few days for the body to rehydrate properly. I pee like a race horse on the first few day. It's the body flushing out the alcohol and toxins from your body. Just go with the "Flow" LOL. I have had some bloating (results from re-Hydration) that resolves by day 7 but all in all I feel fine.

Sleep is good and getting better. A little trouble falling to sleep first few nights but once I doze off I sleep like a rock!

Some mild brain fog on days 3-5 is predictable but soon passes. On the other hand, SUGAR is the killer, especially in the evenings when I used to drink most. I try to satisfie my sugar craves with fresh fruit. Citrus, starwberries, Pineapple, melons, etc...any healty fruit that is loaded with "Fructose" a form of...(you guessed it) Sugar.

Of course the whole time for the first week or two I'am eating my guts out on anything I want! I'll admit...its more like "Grazing" 24/7 but for now...anything to keep me out of the liquor cabinet or fridge where I store my beer (there is none in there anyway). I got rid of everything before day 1.

NEVER...EVER...have booze in the house when your trying to quit. It's just too easy and too convienent to relapse (trust me on this).

By Day 7 I'am feeling really good and sleeping great and...it just gets better after that. Sure, you're going to have some Up and Down days but in a word, the benefits of sobriety are almost immediate. Compared to what we have BEEN feeling like...day 1-2 feels great !

Just starting Day 8...and feeling GREAT !!!

Dave
Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I sometimes felt fine for a day and then started to feel ghastly, because without realizing, I still had so many units of alcohol in me, that hadn't yet metabolized. So it was a bit like a horrid belated hangover kicking in. If that makes sense. xxx
Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the bath tip Matt...I hadn't heard that one.

D
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my seizure came at the four day mark so please be careful, go to the dr or the hospital