Notices

10 Days

Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Days

This is my 10th day without drinking at all. I am proud of that (especially since I made it through an event last night that I was very worried might derail me), but mostly I just feel completely overwhelmed by all of the other problems in my life and just kind of feel this constant low-level anxiety and sense that there isn't much fun to look forward to.

The weekends are really tough for me and right now I'm tending to just try to continue working through them and being productive, rather than relax. I think that I likely used alcohol to some extent not only to relax/have fun, but to also incapacitate myself to some extent because historically the only times I really allow myself to relax are if I feel I'm too sick to do anything productive. I have to also be careful though because I have depression, so letting myself lay in bed all day also isn't smart.

I definitely know that seeking out other, healthy activities is one thing I can do, and I obviously have some work to do re: managing anxiety and learning how to relax. It's just hard finding the motivation to do so. I think I am only just starting to grasp how much I may actually need to change/restructure to be sober and it feels a little bit daunting. Thanks for listening, as always.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done to you xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As crazy as it sounds I think I also became addicted to the hangover. If I felt sick it allowed me to concentrate on the physical hurts and then I would just go to sleep. I'm not sure if I was trying to self medicate for depression or if the depression was brought on by the drinking. I'm glad I am giving myself the opportunity to find out.

Congratulations on ten days!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
As crazy as it sounds I think I also became addicted to the hangover. If I felt sick it allowed me to concentrate on the physical hurts and then I would just go to sleep. I'm not sure if I was trying to self medicate for depression or if the depression was brought on by the drinking. I'm glad I am giving myself the opportunity to find out.

Congratulations on ten days!
I know what you mean. If I had a hangover, it would dilute whatever I had been worried about in the first place. But by the time I had recovered, usually, what I had been worried about had resoved itself whilst I was in a heap on the sofa silly really. xx