Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Should there be a word for an 'almost alcoholic'?

Notices

Should there be a word for an 'almost alcoholic'?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"If alcohol is interfering in your life and causing you problems, then you have an alcohol problem by definition." I then go on to offer this analogy. "If you have fallen off a cliff, but haven't yet hit the ground I don't think you have to call yourself dead as you are falling, however if you don't stop the fall that term will very likely apply in the future."
fantastically put.
idk if thats a word.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

You said what I was going to say Jon - only better - thanks

D
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safe2breathe View Post
fantastically put.
idk if thats a word.

X2 .

If its causing problems , we need to leave it alone .

I don't know if im an alcoholic of not ,I do know I feel better without it .
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Apprentice? LMAO
Padawan... OB1 has thought you well but you are not an Alcoholic yet. LOL!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well after studying this article and others, it seems that I was only an "almost alcoholic" and not a fully fledged one. I will not go back to alkie school to graduate though... I truly cannot afford the tuition.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Its a good article, and highlights the problems with the label "alcoholic".

Many people who are "alcoholics" don't want that label, in fact, that also goes for me. Why should we offer ourselves up to be defined in such a way, by people who have no idea about alcoholism. For many its a derogatory term and riddled with stigma.

However, the problem with avoiding the word alcoholism also might lead to people glossing over that they do actually have a problem.

So I see this as being about an attempt to re-package the term alcoholism so that people can more readily accept the categorisation and from that, can then seek help.

Its an interesting subject.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is. It's early and middle stage alcoholic.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
However, the problem with avoiding the word alcoholism also might lead to people glossing over that they do actually have a problem.
This was the case for me. I was absolutely comfortable in my drinking days knowing full-well that I was a 'problem drinker' or would be classified under the term 'alcohol abuse'. It wasn't until I began to come to terms with the fact that I was an alcoholic that I had any desire to do something about putting down the bottle. So there are already terms for 'almost alcoholic,' and in my case it only meant that I would almost consider doing anything about that problem, without of course actually ever doing anything.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter13 View Post

I was in London about five years ago a day I was amazed that the pub was full of office workers on their lunch break throwing back as many pints as possible before heading back to the office. And I was told that was socially acceptable. So I guess the culture makes it hard to quit?
Oh yeah definitely, if you don't drink over here people are confused. It's the norm to drink and not just one pint.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If we decide to use the word "almost alcoholic" then I think we should use the word "almost pregnant". There is no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. Either you are or you are not.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="MaidenNZ;4395625"]Everybody thinks they know what an "alcoholic" is, but what about those who drink too much but fall short of the common definitions of alcoholism? Should there be a word that bridges the gap between alcoholic and non-alcoholic? Article in the BBC today. BBC News - Should there be a word for an almost alcoholic?[/

The term is "hard drinker." They fall short of the definition of alcoholism.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There is really no such thing as an 'alcoholic'. It's just a coined term that has gained momentum since the 1930s. You could probably just call 'it' one's level of attraction to alcohol.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Apprentice? LMAO
Thanks for the laugh, Threshold. So casual drinkers are almost sober?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Personally I don't like labels for anything, as it sort of gives permission to act/behave a certain way. I have a friend who has problems with leaving her house and says 'Oh but i'm agoraphobic so I can't' If she had just been advised that she had a stress problem , then I feel she would take more control and work at it more.

Just my opinion though, but I don't like labels for that reason Xx
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I don't think so. You're an alcoholic or you aren't. Only you know which you are.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by nickand View Post
There is really no such thing as an 'alcoholic'. It's just a coined term that has gained momentum since the 1930s. You could probably just call 'it' one's level of attraction to alcohol.
Well, of course alcoholics exist, Nickland. Hello, my name is Robert, and I'm an alcoholic. As well, I'm recovered from my alcoholism.

You speak about an "attraction" to alcohol. Hmm. What do you mean?

I see from your profile you have an interest in the organisation EFTCoaa (Escaping From The Cult Of AA) and you read The Orange Papers. I'm now able to understand why I can't make good sense of your posts about drinking, alcohol, recovery, and programs.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
Should there be a word that bridges the gap between alcoholic and non-alcoholic?
There already is one...

"Functional Alcoholics"
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Should there be a word for almost alcoholic?

Well, should there be a word for almost pregnant?

I believe the newly released psychiatric diagnostic manual has changed the defeinitions of alcoholism. And almost alcoholic would probably be diagnosed as having "moderate alcohol misuse disorder" (MAD) where as I would be diagnosed as having severe alcohol misuse disorder (SAD).

Except that I have recovered and no longer suffer from SAD.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I think it's too late for that term to take hold, because the term "functional alcoholic" is already being used in the very same vein.

How many newcomers do you see that claim to be "high functioning alcoholics" - just because they still have a job and can pay their electric bills? That term is already being used dangerously and has given many people a reason NOT to quit.

This article just goes to show that a lot of people still think that all alcoholics wear frayed porkpie hats, live under a bridge, and are unshaven and have little cartoon stars that float over their heads. It's too bad that perception is still out there...but like others here, I don't have time to worry about that.

I think there was another article recently in the NYT that encouraged people with drinking problems to learn to moderate and keep drinking. Now we have the "almost alcoholic" label being thrown out there in the media. I think both of these ideas are garbage...but in a way, I also find it very interesting that these types of things are in the news. It's taken the public 40 years to start trying to lower toxic emissions and be conscious about protecting the environment...but changes in the way we use energy are finally taking hold. Maybe these articles are the seeds the mainstream population needs to start understanding how wide-spread alcoholism is.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Its like being almost pregnant.