Notices

gee wanting a drink

Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gee wanting a drink

i been completely sober since Nov 2012.new years now. i jsut have the strong urge to have a drink or two like old times. i think i will have to do somthing to occupy my mind like exercise to take that urge off.
what is every one else doing if they have it
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good tips here Rob:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just complete avoidance, not in an environment to entice. Doing things that have nothing to do with drinking, talking to family via Skype, watching the news. Soon we'll watch a movie. No alcohol anywhere and neither of us drink.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Warm enough out there for a nice walk, Rob?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MB8

I am seriously wanting a drink too. I'm only 50 days. I just went for a run and it somewhat helped. Man it can just hit you like a pound of bricks out of nowhere. MB8
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At this stage of the game, I am thinking of how Sick it makes me...
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My mind is romanticizing drinking today too. Decided against going out. This one is tougher for me than Christmas or thanksgiving.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No you don't, Rob.

You know, you and I connected about a year ago right as we both began this process. You were a huge help to me in the early days and I appreciate that so much.

The sentimentality you are feeling is normal. We've only had one sober NYE so far compared to dozens of drunken ones. I think it's expected that what seems right is to go out with the rest of the world and get drunk. What keeps me from acting on it is the guarantee that drinking tonight in "celebration" of a happy new year would actually ensure the opposite - a horrible new year. I might be able to keep it to tonight, but more likely I would set off a chain of events leading me back to regular drinking. Then there are the feelings of regret and letting down the people that love and support me.

All for what? A drink or two like old times? It's not worth it by any stretch of the imagination.

Set those thoughts aside Rob. You can do this and you will feel great tomorrow about how you pulled through. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks every one, that was a good help

Charlie, yea i remember the late night chats we had, you were a big help also. thanks bro

thanks every one
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

i sometimes think at times like these oh i should go have a drink then i get sad cause I know i cant i never really felt cheated i suppose. But i did go through a phase where i'd look at my honorable track record and felt a drink was rather well deserved.

now when i get the craving I think oh well i cant have one they dont agree with me. *sigh* such is life. yes it would be cool to be able to drink normal but sadly i suffer from this illness called alcholism and i'm unable to drink normally oh well.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OK, Robgt, tell the troof now. I can't speak for you, but if I were to drink tonight, it wouldn't be an ounce or two of single malt. It would not be a drink or two for auld lang syne. I know how this goes. It would be everything I could find.

I know I am in a whole new world now, one without the utter mess and destruction of alcoholism. I know you are too. What you really deserve looks nothing like a drink, it looks more like a life with some peace and joy and happiness in it.

Send that thought of a drink away by recognizing its source, and then breathe that big sigh of relief that you never are going down that dark and dismal road ever again. Your life is a better one now, thank goodness. Onward!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh come on - we don't just drink 2, or drink for the taste, or drink for an hour ~ we all know where it leads. Days, weeks,or month long benders, followed by shame, remorse, guilt. For me it's easier to stay sober than get sober. Sounds like a lot of wasted time. Not EVERYONE drinks on New Year's. Personally, I'm watching back-to-back episodes of the Good Wife on Amazon Prime with hot tea. I know way too much excitement here
Old 12-31-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yea you are right, it will be more than one drink if i did drink tonight. i am doing to good now, i will make it
thanks all
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Were I drinking, it wouldn't stop until sometime Wednesday afternoon, and it would take my passing out to accomplish that. Only to begin again once I regained consciousness.

Nothing says the holidays like a good blackout, complete with the inevitable humiliating behaviors that would leave the rest of my shrinking world shaking their heads in disappointment, disgust and dismay.

These days, I like to live on the edge on New Year's Eve. Watching the BBC America series, Orphan Black. Outstanding show with a terrific actress playing the lead. Mixing it up with home-baked Linzer Tarts and, of course, fat free milk.

I'll be up at midnight to ring in the New Year, but I'm up at midnight pretty much the entire year.