Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

18 yr. old getting 1 year chip at meeting last night

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I watched an 18 yr old girl get her one year chip with real pride last night. She had only started at 16 but had watched the impact the disease was having on her alcoholic parents that she was worried she would go down the same path. It was a promise to herself. I admire her conviction.

I never saw it first hand growing up. My parents and grandparents never drank. I come from a small family. Father an only child-mother one sister. Saw a beer in my uncles fridge on occasion. Alcohol was never at any family gathering or wedding. I grew up in the rural south and coming from a religious family it was considered taboo. Of course, I found it by the time I was a teenager and then gong to college in the northeast the game was afoot.

Did anyone else grow up in a really dry family environment? And how do they treat your "problem"?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my 1st meeting was at 19. Wish I stuck with it then. If I only had a glimpse of what was waiting for me the next 30 yrs .Whoah!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I come from a family of non-drinkers, not based on principle or anything. They just rarely drank. We'd have a bottle of wine in the fridge for years and my dad and uncles might have a beer on fourth of July or something, but it was rare.

I was actually living with my parents at the height of my drinking, but I hid it from them. They never saw me take a drink or buy alcohol, never saw me drunk, and never heard me talk about it. I drank every evening alone in my room until I passed out. I gave them no reason to worry; I had just moved back in with them after grad school and had a steady job and a car and was paying down school loans. When I got sober at 24 they didn't know either. I lied to them about going out in the evenings to AA. When I finally did tell them, I had about a month of sobriety. They still don't really believe me, so we don't ever discuss it. I even met my husband in AA and they know he's an alcoholic too, but we still don't mention it. I've come to accept the fact that they can love me even if they don't acknowledge or understand that part of my life. I have lots of other people with whom I can discuss recovery. Our relationship is actually pretty good today.