Notices

I'm back again...now it's time to stop

Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back again...now it's time to stop

I've posted here before, but failed to stay sober. I think it's time now to change that.

Well here I am just sitting at work bored on Christmas Eve waiting to get off. I still need to go finish up my Christmas shopping, wrap presents, pack up and drive home tonight. I've could have done all of this over the past weekend, but I was too hungover to do anything, especially on Sunday. I literally laid in bed all day with a pounding headache and my body was aching. It wasn't your typical hangover where you just have a slight headache and you can feel better with some coffee or a gatorade, it was worse. I will sometimes get these really bad hangovers where I can't think or function right and feel depressed all day thinking what is the point of living and I will never drink again. I would constantly try and force myself to throw up to get rid of the horrible feeling. But in the end, I ended up running to the closest liquor store and purchased a bottle of wine and consumed the whole thing as soon as I got home. This has to stop.

I've been saying to myself for awhile now that I will stop drinking, but that is usually the day after a long night of drinking. I've gotten pretty bad over the past year. I really started drinking when I moved out to college. Every weekend was filled with getting hammered drunk and doing stupid **** that I would regret the next morning. Things like sleeping around with girls and not even remembering their names and even becoming destructive with other drunks by abusing property.

I have a bad history of blacking out easily when I drink too much. But it has gotten really bad the past year where I have been blacking out at least 1-3 times a month. The most recent incident was last Saturday night ( I was pretty hungover from the night before as I drank 2 bottles of wine by myself...More to that later on), where one of my good friends from college invited me out to a BBQ where I didn't really know anyone. I told myself that I would take it easy and not drink that much. I was good up until the point where we went out to a bar and after about 3 IPAs, I lost control and kept drinking and blacked out. I regained consciousness standing outside the bar waiting for a cab, not knowing what I did the past couple of hours (most likely negative) and got dropped off at my car and drove home (which I shouldn't have since I was still buzzin).

So I decided I'm going to try out not drinking any alcohol for 30 days. So far, it is Day 2 and I still have a long road ahead of me. I have another challenge too coming up with Christmas and NYE coming up which is going to be hard to pass up on drinking with most likely everyone around me enjoying a glass of wine or beer. I made myself a money jar where I will plan on putting $5 cash in it everyday and I will buy myself something nice at the end of the 30 days. I will be writing about my progress throughout this challenge to let you know of my story. Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no doubt you will make it 30 days.

It's what happens after that 30 that's getting me curious. If you are half like me, you will be trying to catch up... Every time I stopped and started again, my condition got worst, and quitting harder and harder.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there day 4 tomorrow for me ,Ill be at familys , Wifes brother will have plenty of beer .

Actually beer ,wine ,Crown ,you name it ,rich people ,lots of food and drink .
Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, going for it now. My cycle was feeling so hungover, then the fear and depression that spurred me to drink more the same evening. Once I broke the cycle it didn't take long to feel heaps better. x Good luck and I take my hat off to you xxx
Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys! I can probably manage 30 days, but I wanted to set myself a small goal that's reachable and take it one day at a time.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

O.K 30 days is better than 30 minutes, but from my experience, and considering your past, a view to total abstinence seems preferable. Thinking '30 days' just might keep that "it's all right in moderation" garbage simmering in your sub conscious.
For many of us the situation has gone beyond ant further time trials...............
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heck -just quit for TODAY , tomorrow quit again for TODAY .

I cant do all that "never drink again" deal ,but I can skip it TODAY .