Notices

Getting off the fence

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting off the fence

So I posted last week about my constant switching between sobriety and drinking and I received over a dozen thoughtful replies, for which I was very grateful. The theme of most was eliminating the room for negotiating with yourself - some suggesting a concrete period of sobriety as a first step, others warning against it, some suggesting I just get on with it and commit to quitting.

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking over what you all have said and I think I have indeed been on the fence. Well, enough - I've decided - no more weaseling out of sobriety. Total abstinence from here on in.

I can't imagine risking coming back to the point I was at on Friday - hung over, worrying about whether I'd ruined my chances at my awesome new job, not knowing where some important possessions were, and feeling like absolute death for nearly 3 days. It's just not worth it. How many times do I need to keep going back to "moderation" only to find myself passed out with a furious wife sleeping on the couch?

That said, despite everything, I found myself arguing with myself last night, thinking that a drink would help to sleep. WTF, self.

Anyways, no more tempting fate. I'm done.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Buddy, glad you are making a strong decision to stay stopped. You'll see, it will get better the longer you stay sober.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad to hear it
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear, I've been there, the never ending debate with yourself and your drinking. The greatest blessing for me so far has been when I've felt officially "beat" by alcohol. Good luck to you
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! I know you are making the right decision. Alcoholism is cunning, baffelling a powerful and, to ensure your sobriety, I hope you consider a good support system. I joined AA and have never regretted it. There are many other ways to stay sober as well and I hope you find one that suits you. It's the opportunity to celebrate each milestone as well as being held accountable. I was sober for 2 1/2 years and when my Father died I drank again for 4 months. The pain was enormous. So I had to go back to my group at AA and explain what happened. I don't ever want to have to do that again. I had a great job at the time and I would have lost it if I continued drinking. I wish you much luck in your choice to stay sober and hope that sobriety brings with it many good things to come. God Bless, Ipanema