Notices

Reasons Why I Choose To Stay Sober

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reasons Why I Choose To Stay Sober

Being a chronic alcohol abuser for the past 15 years and having only recently quit drinking, I find what really helped me over the hump (not that I am over it yet, by any means) was the fact that I now choose to focus more on the positive benefits I get from staying sober as opposed to what I perceive to be “missing out on” by giving up drinking. I find this makes all the difference.
So what do I get from choosing not to drink? Well, to list a few things:

1. I’m more mentally aware, I’m able to focus more. I can actually concentrate while at work, and my mind isn’t like a butterfly, wandering in the wind. I actually have short-term memory again, I can remember people’s names, basic numbers, and things like that. When I was drinking full-time, my mental acuity was nonexistent, I was very dumb, very dull. No memory whatsoever.

2. I’m more in tune with my emotions. When I was drinking full-time, I was a zombie, I had no real emotions other than anger and frustration, which were caused chemically. Now I feel a more genuine happiness, empathy, I feel like I am kinder, gentler, warmer, and more passionate with friends and family.

3. I am more confident. Please don’t fall victim to the trap that alcohol increases your confidence, if you do any research whatsoever on this then you know it’s a sham. It causes you to lose your inhibitions temporarily, which causes you to put your defences down and care less about what people think of you, but when you sober up you are overcompensating and the opposite proves to be true. I have developed a genuine lack of confidence resulting from my full-time drinking, which combined with anxiety and depression – it’s unavoidable, in my opinion. When I quit drinking, and keep in mind I’m at the start of the journey, things are definitely much, much more improved.

4. Going to parties or social gatherings can be much more fun. At first I didn’t believe this, but it’s very true. I found my conversations were much more genuine, much more interesting, my speech wasn’t slurring and I wasn’t loud-talking to anybody, or knowingly annoying them like I’m sure I must have been doing when I was constantly hammered. People respect you more when you’re not drinking, especially when you’re generally known as being a drunk like me. People take you more seriously, which is nice to see, even if you don’t want to admit it to yourself. Anyone who says they don’t care what other people think of them is generally not being 100% honest – we are social people and we have a need to be accepted by others. I find it is very refreshing to be out in public, at parties or even in a pub, and remain sober. It does get boring quicker, but that’s fine – we can always drive home whenever we want.

5. Other people can trust you again. That includes your significant others, your family, your friends, co-workers – anybody. Gaining the trust of other people is not at the top of an addicts’ “want” list.

6. I have more money – not at all why I quit, but definitely a great side effect! When you go to a restaurant or to a pub, you’re spending a small fraction compared to what you usually spend.

7. You’re physically much better off. I’ve noticed that my workouts have gotten substantially better and more intense in the past few weeks, I’ve been reaching lifetime goals and it’s definitely due to quitting my intake of this terrible poison.

8. I actually have a life again, which is not dominated by my constant need to consume a poison. I’m no longer a drug addict. I’m free of this terrible disease, of this terrible addiction. It’s like something clicked in my head, and I know that I will never go back to being a drinker.

Sorry for the rant everybody. Just wanted to share some things that helped me a lot, and if it can help even one person, then all the power to it.

Have a great day!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent post. I really agree with you that choosing to look at the benefits makes a world of difference.

I don't feel that I'm depriving myself of anything, but that I am gaining a lot by being clean and sober.

The benefits of sobriety are amazing.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Inspirational. Thank you !
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you for the reminder....
I am taking sober for granted already (6 1/2 months) .. forgetting what a blessing it is to get up everyday feeling so great!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

because sobriety is super awesome...you forgot that one