Notices

the straw that broke the camels back...

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2 lives in 1

the straw that broke the camels back...

I went out to do some more "research" on alcoholism at the end of September. I had a little over a year of sobriety from alcohol and all other mind altering substances at that time. Since then I have been drinking very heavily and going to AA meetings about once every few weeks, but I have had no success what so ever in regards to being able to stop.

A little fender bender and several other consequences have not been enough to make me want to stop, but the incident that took place last night has me screaming for help. My girlfriend and I have a son together and have been trying to work things out. Our relationship has been suffering for quite sometime seeing as we are young and I have a drinking problem. We have only been intimate about two times in the last year! Last night I went out for some drinks with some people from work and ended up sleeping with one of my co-workers. The remorse and guilt I feel is unbelievable. I have never slept with anyone else while dating my girlfriend. This experience has left me feeling like a scumbag and I am once again desperate to stop drinking.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, most of us have done things while drunk that we deeply regret when sober. You had a year of sobriety. That is a great thing. What worked last time? What is your plan this time? What would you differently?

I used to attend AA meetings, infrequently, and still drink like a fish. That didn't work out so well for me. i ended up going into inpatient treatment to kick start my plan. You have been around long enough to have heard "it works if you work it...sober." Dust yourself off. Use the tools. Post and read here for support. Follow your avatar message and call your sponsor before you drink. Or call when you think you might drink.

It all comes down to whether you have completed your research on alcoholism and truly are ready wrap up the experiment. You can do it.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry 2lives that your recent choices have caused you angst, but I am glad you are back here to discuss it!!

You have kicked this before and you DO have the tools in your toolbox to make it happen! It's up to you to use them again friend!

What is your immediate plan for moving forward??
Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. It saddens me because so many get some months together and feel we have it together and want to test the waters again hoping for different results. From experience the second, third etc. time around was horrendous for me, but being an immature know it all I did it anyway because of my "right to drink." The saddest part is that so many never can get it back again and drift in pain of continued drinking.
I needed to get honest with myself about MY drinking and be serious about stopping as I cannot drink in safety. For me and many others a few meetings does not cut it as we need to relearn a lot to repair our thinking and acting. I needed also to surrender to the thoughts that drinking is fun for me and I miss it.

BE WELL
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's good that you want to stop and you have done it before so good luck. You can do it x
Old 12-10-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's good that you're sharing that on here. Many of us have made some really bad decisions while drinking. But, I think the most important thing is that if you feel like you have a drinking problem you need to get help. It could get a lot worse than just sleeping with a co-worker behind your girlfriend's back. Plus, you need to be sober for your son. Take it one thing, and one day at a time.