Notices

Newcomer

Old 06-12-2004, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Newcomer

I decide this morning that it is time for me to stop drinking!!! Making my life miserable and my husband too.. He drinks also ... so I'm wondering how hard is this going to be ... I don't want to change anyone.. I just want to change myself.. and be the person I use to be, and enjoy the things I use to..Spend that money on something else. Who will support me here??? and where do I find all the stuff for the twelve step program??? I do not want to attend outside meetings.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi DonnaGail

Congrats on your decision. Lots of advice and support here. Helps me every day. Don't totally dismiss the meeting idea, I did at first, but I now find it helps. But that's me. There are other recovery methods.

Others will be along soon to welcome you.

much love

JC
Old 06-12-2004, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Donna welcome to the Forums.You will find a lot of support here.You seem to understand that your drinking is about you and has nothing to do with your husband a quality that will make your decision to quit a lot easier especially when you have to face the fact that he does not want to stop and may even continue to do it around you.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by DonnaGail
Who will support me here???
Everyone!
Here's a link to the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27421
There are online recovery meetings here as well. You can find the schedule on the main forum page at the bottom under "Chat and online meetings".
Welcome!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Welcome Donna!

Dan said it..... who will support you? Everyone! This is a great place for support.

I don't want to change anyone.. I just want to change myself.. and be the person I use to be, and enjoy the things I use to..Spend that money on something else.
Sounds like you are ready for a change........ you have said it all in that quote. Now what are you going to do about it.

There are plenty of ways to get sober........ I used AA. There are other alternatives...... I'm going to post this, then go back and get the link to "12 step alternatives" and edit this post.

Tho I really suggest face to face AA meetings or at least some of the ones here.

Here's that link....http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html
Old 06-12-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Donna,

Welcome again. Your statement that you want to change is so significant. I found that my life became smaller and smaller the longer I drank until there was almost nothing left but alcohol. But, you can reclaim your life and do the things you used to love doing.

I see others pointed out the AA steps. One alternative some people use is the SMART recovery program. It's www.smartrecovery.org. Anyways, browse around the forums here and see what you like.

Love, Anna
Old 06-12-2004, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Donna...welcome. I hope your husband is going to stop drinking along with you, other wise you might find it a lot harder. I'd advise you look for outside help or any kind period, it's to hard to do alone, I know because I've drank for years with my hubs and I'm sick of it, and finding it hard to stop alone, so I had to look for outside help, and it's still a struggle. One day at a time...all any of us have.

I'm so happy you found us, and you're looking for help. Wishing you all the best in your journey to sobriety, you can be the person you used to be, smile.

Love and hugs.....Denise
Old 06-12-2004, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome Donna!

Good advice already given so I'll just welcome ya!