Notices

Another death from alcoholism

Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another death from alcoholism

My friend's mother passed away last week. I'd known her since I was a little kid, she was one of the "neighborhood moms" in my area. Actually that's short changing it a bit: she was my childhood best friend's mom, so I spent a lot of time in her house between the ages of 4-14.

I hadn't spoken with her in probably 15 years, but when I heard of her death I called up my buddy to offer my condolences. He told me her liver had failed, but didn't mention alcohol in our conversation. Can't blame him for that omission, really. Her service was today, and I did not attend - but those who did told me about it afterwards. They confirmed my suspicions, it was alcohol that killed her. She'd been at the bottle every night for the years since her kids moved out, probably had the problem much longer though. She'd been in and out of treatment, but never quite stuck with it.

She was in her 60's. Leaves behind 2 heartbroken children in their mid-30's, and 4 grandchildren that were too young to ever get the chance to get to know her. The one grandchild that was old enough to know her didn't show for the funeral.

And that's what happens, folks.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How tragic. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. You're sober, that probably gives your friend comfort. In my short year of sobriety I am shocked at the people who have died. I'm in AA/CA. Sadly, these passings remind me to be active every single day in my Recovery. The old timers tell us this disease will lie to you, wait for you, and is out to kill you. My prayers to the Mom's family, friends and you BigSombrero. Bobbi
Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your best friend's mom, bigsombrero. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to learn of this bigsombrero. Be kind to yourself. Xx
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

sincere condolences

v
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I am sorry you have lost a loved one. I wanted to comment on how deadly alcohol can be, but couldn't think of anything worth saying because your post said it all.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BigSombrero...I started drinking alcoholically when my kids and their friends grew up and went on to start their lives like they are suppose to do...When you love kids, like your friends mom did, and they grow up, it leaves you with a big hole...She sounds like a wonderful woman who loved BIG!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's sad.
The older I get the more I notice those passing on that were not that kind to their bodies.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's sad. Our culture tends to downplay how lethal alcohol can be.

I relate to the "neighbor moms"; I was very fond of a few mothers of best friends. I spent almost as much time at their homes as I did my own, and my friends did the same. These women always treated me with kindness and love. I took it for granted then; but I now realize it was a gift for these women to share their homes and lives with me.

Some have passed of natural causes, and some are still alive, but I have fond memories of those days. I would be deeply saddened if one of them had died from alcohol abuse.