Notices

Sugar Cravings

Old 11-24-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar Cravings

I drank for roughly 30 years. During that time I never craved sugar (because of the sugar content in the booze). Ever since I've quit drinking I can't seem to get enough sugar. Ice cream, chocolate, sweets etc. It's gotten to the point where the cravings are bad.

My question is, is this normal? How long does this insatiable desire for sugar usually last for? Maybe it's just me...somehow I don't think so though. I need to look towards a time frame so I can have hope that the cravings will eventually go.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me it was really noticable for first two months then it calmed down.
I think our insulin levels are higher because of high alcohol(sugar) in our blood so when we quit our bodies crave sugar to balance things out. It causes a little brain fog too.
Good luck to you
Old 11-24-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very common - I certainly experienced it.

I'm not sure when it dropped back from a need to a want, but it was probably a few months for me.

I still enjoy a piece of choccy or something of a night...nothing extravagant and it sure beats the hell out of what I used to do

D
Old 11-24-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup, 30-days in for me, and massive sugar cravings. I have allowed it for now, but I'll taper it off soon if the cravings don't go away on their own.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

around 2 months sober and having a bowl of chocolate ice cream for desert every night )

love it !
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Sugar cravings like alcohol cravings could keep on going for an indetermined amount of time as long as you keep feeding them. The was to stop it is to concentrate on getting a good balanced diet with plenty of "complex" carbs and protein. While many old timers used to day eat some candy or sugar when you have cravings for alcohol, this can in fact be a risky proposition. Since the two can feel so similar continuing to feed the body sugar keeps a similar craving active. Exercise and a good diet will go a long way to getting better. It will go much further than continuing to eat a lot of sugar. This just keeps the craving going.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i am at 2.5 years and gotta have ice cream.
Its like they just invented the stuff.
Even my kids say something.
Dad three fudgesicles. Yep, its not booze.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep whiskey man. That's exactly what it's like. It's as if I've never seen sugar before!! Crazy...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was the same way. I could take it or leave it. I hardly ever had sugar cravings. I would buy ice cream to have to sit in the fridge after one small bowl and grow ice mold.

When I first got sober I had to have it. I would buy Klondike bars and make sundaes out of them. Put a Klondike bar in a bowl, pour on the chocolate syrup, then whip cream and crush an oreo on top. I ate those almost every night for two months. I liked the chocolate ones the best but the oreo and mint chip were also on the list.

Now at 8 months I still like sweets but the craving is gone. But now I will take it instead of leave it, in moderation, when it is around and I don't see that changing anytime soon...lol
Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

I am kinda fixated on Hersey's Special Dark, not a remarkable amount per night, but if there aren't at least a couple of squares in the house...well lets just say there better be
Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i have to apply the same principles of the steps to ice cream
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
i have to apply the same principles of the steps to ice cream
LOL, no doubt.

I am still amazed I lost weight eating all that ice cream. I guess I drank more in calories everyday then three chocolate bars and a sundae not even counting regular food...lol
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i dont have a bucket of ice cream, its just a nice treat to have after dinner, and is probably about 300-350 calories, whereas a bottle of wine is between 600-800 calories and i'd normally have at least 2 of them. So I think a bit of ice cream is probably OK and im losing weight still...

I guess if you are force feeding sweet stuff to yourself then perhaps watch out, otherwise, enjoy !
Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've noticed it too. Had a Crunchie earlier. Enjoyed it too .
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh yeah - I craved it for about 3 mos. & it finally calmed down. I drank as long as you did - and never liked sweets that much either. After quitting - bring on the ice cream, lollipops, chocolate bars, cake with lots of frosting - could not get enough. It all settled down though - and now the only remaining addiction is ice cream.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's really encouraging Hevyn, a few months is ok. Right now I'm like a crackhead when it comes to all things sweet.