Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Behavorial Modification after Addiction Cessation is key

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It becomes clear after reading many posts here that more diligence is required in the later months of sobriety. The physical addiction is rampant in most of us approximately 3 months followed by another 3 to 4 months of intense mental cravings. The mental cravings at least for me felt closely related to the physical cravings so it really is at least 6 months for most of us before we have completely cleared addiction's hurdle.

As I push farther into sobriety I realize now that what is left of my addiction is purely behavioral. Too many times I have come in here to read of a relapse that was brought on by a "Situational Trigger". Someone putting themselves or being put into a situation where avoiding the precursors of indulging a habit is difficult. Most of us having weak resolve in these moments give in to temptation.

If we can recognize better within ourselves when these triggers occur for us we can begin to modify our behavior to fit the surrounding atmosphere. Long term sobriety really is about being self aware and continuing to make the good decisions we made to get passed the physical threshold.

To another wonderfully sober day to you all.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Agree with you completely, Sudz.

When I first heard "People, Places and Things" in AA, I thought, "What the hell does that mean?"

Now, I know.

Quitting drinking is rarely enough. Especially for those of us who have been drinking for years and have built up a whole lifestyle around getting our fix. I had no sober friends at the end, no place to go that didn't remind me of drinking, and very few coping skills for dealing with life sober.

That's where SR and other programs become so fundamental, IMO.

But, yeah, it always kind of jolts me when I read on here someone saying, "I am going to the bar/pub with my friends but I will stay sober while they drink!" or "I'm going to girl's night with my friends but will sit and sip a soda while they drink wine!" or some form of basically doing the same thing just without the alcohol. Maybe after years of sobriety you're able to do those things but after a few weeks or months? It's like Russian roulette.

So good topic and good post. Thanks and happy sober weekend to you too!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
The mental cravings at least for me felt closely related to the physical cravings so it really is at least 6 months for most of us before we have completely cleared addiction's hurdle.
I identify with this. Coming up on 6 months in a few days.

With that being said I love that I'm clearing that hurdle! However, I am also vigilant and mindful that I have to prepare for the ones that will be coming up out of the ground like the mole's head in a Whack A Mole game!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Great post Sudz. Thank you.

While eating lunch yesterday, I noticed a woman with a glass of red wine. AV immediately kicked into overdrive and I zeroed in on that glass like it was the holy flaking Grail. It was so beautiful and crimson, in an exquisite Reidel glass. Like a piece of fine art, the AV had me mesmerized by its beauty.

Then I snapped out of it.

It a freaking glass of wine for criminitaly !! I never drank in the afternoon as I would either 1. Get so tired that I would have to nap or B. Drink right on through to the other side.

Truth is, I hated drinking the last few years. Every bit of it but the ambiance of a beautiful color in a beautiful glass. I have a thing for glass and stemware. Mismatched Accoutrements that I buy at Homegoods bargain basket, where you only get maybe one of a kind.

It's the aesthetics that I love. Screw what it holds. So long as its pretty

I realized this yesterday. Thanks for helping me to clarify it.

XO AO
Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My addiction is a very very clever enemy. The longer I am sober the more subtle are it's attacks