Notices

Will I go through alcohol withdrawals?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I go through alcohol withdrawals?

I drink socially (I might also add heavily) once a week. I am a very health anxious person (I know, duh dont drink like a moron) and I am freaked out as we speak. Here is why...

I used to drink a lot more a few months back. I was in college and binge drinking into my senior year became a hobby. I drank heavily 2-3 times a week, thought nothing of it. One time after a 2 day binge my body said enough and I think I went through mild withdrawals. I never had a moment where I woke up and said "I NEED A DRINK" but I very much enjoyed the buzz. So about 2 months I was incredibly anxious after the withdrawals and had panic attacks and problems sleeping. I stopped drinking for a good 3 months to let my body recover from the years of damage that I had done to it. Anyway, in the last 2-3 months I've been going out once a week, drinking sometimes just beer other times 4-6 drinks. I haven't experienced any withdrawal symptoms but this weekend I went on a 2 day binge and I am scared that the withdrawal symptoms will come back. On Friday I had 3 pints of beer. Went home, woke up feeling great. On Saturday, this is where things went bad. I had about 5 dirty vodka martinis and maybe 5 shots. I vomited at around 6am and slept til about 2:30PM. Upon waking up, I made myself a healthy breakfast and felt fine until about 5PM when I got dizzy and just a feeling of unease. I know, regular hangover right? I then started to have pain in my upper abdomen but I figure thats normal from that amount of alcohol. It is now 1:11Am and I am scared that I will once again have uncomfortable insomnia. Is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms from drinking a much as I have? I might add that I had about 2 liters of water today, a bottle of Pedialyte and I'm sipping on a homemade rehydration drink. Btw, I'm a 25 year old female that weighs 130lbs at 5'8. Thanx!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome GetOverIt

I'm afraid the short answer is none of us knows - we're not doctors, and we can;t give you medical advice anyway on these forums.

It's fair to say that there's almost always consequences from a binge or a bender, tho.

If you get anxious again or have panic attacks, or if the insomnia comes back as a regular thing...if you're concerned about anything at all - the best thing to do about that is see a Dr.

D
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee. I'd see my doctor and tell them what's going on. They can give you something to make your withdrawals bearable.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

None of us can answer that, but if you feel like you need to go to the ER don't hesitate.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I am a very health anxious person."
It took a bit of convincing when I was drinking that NO way is alcohol considered a health drink especially the amount most of us consumed.

BE WELL
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My panic and anxiety attacks were a constant problem until I got sober. The body has an amazing way of healing itself once we stop poisoning overselves, but the mind was slower to heal in me. If you are (and I don't know that you are) an alcoholic, then you should not think about how much you drink or how often, but what happens WHEN you do drink. We have come to see it as an "allergy". Alcoholics simply cannot drink without serious mental, spiritual and physical fallout. For me the anxiety got to a point where I could barely go to work. I pray you don't wait that long to look into sobriety. 12 steps work for me - good luck.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The truth is that drinking alcohol is pretty close to drinking a poisonous or toxic substance, as is clearly demonsrated by your bodys response to drinking "too much" (as to how much is too much, well it's totally subjective).

You say you are a smart healthy girl...well, here is a plan that, if followed, will guarantee that you will never have to worry about any of the scary, uncomfortable feelings you are experiencing as a direct result of drinking alcohol.

Don't drink the stuff. Ever.

If you follow this plan, you'll never need to worry about the dumb/embarrassing/dangerous things you did while under the influence, nor will you waste one second feeling the awful physical effects of overindulging.