Notices

Fell off the wagon. Not proud about it

Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JL2013

Fell off the wagon. Not proud about it

Not been trying to really stop drinking until very recently. I go about 7-10 days then drink a pint of vodka. By that length of time, life problems, worries, and family stressors, take me out. Began a running program to do everyday I work, before I go in on a LONELY nightshift. Blessed w a good job. Loneliness missing my wife and kids makes me wanna cry. Put some shots back last night, cooked a good meal, cleaned vacuumed and mopped our cabin. Folded a HUGE load of laundry, then passed out in a chair. I did it. My bad choice. Feeling a little lost about it. Gotta get a better grip. No 'moderation' for me, thank you. If any is on here give me some feedback. I was in the USMC and it's so hard not to just drown myself in it, this time of yr. thanks for the ear !
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You drank, but at least you're here now. I know how it is to get 7-10 days in and end up taking a drink. At the same token, I also remember when even going 1 day at all without alcohol seemed absolutely impossible and I could barely do that. It's like some progress, and a trip, but I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Try not to dwell on it or get stuck on self-defeating thoughts over the relapse, as that can keep the cycle going. Rather then dwell on what happened and what can't be undone, focus thoughts on where to go from here. Have you tried AA meetings?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

JL welcome!

Many of us can identify with the constant repetiveness of dusting ourselves off and trying again. This disease is truly cunning and baffling. I'm pretty sure you know that problems, loneliness and issues will still be there, with the bottle and without. Its up to you and your diligence to chose to deal with them soberly. I know you can do it! I'm rooting for you, just do the same for yourself.

Best Wishes,
Jazz
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you drank so know reason to beat yourself up over it. Dust yourself off and get back to being sober and improving yourself and live as a sober person. Do it for your family.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JL2013

I can't get the chat option to work on my iPhone. Not sure why it's not connecting. Might try to find an AA meeting. I grew up I them as a kid with drunk daddy, and doper brother. Didn't even drink til in the service. Later in life it became a crutch. Now got a wonderful wife 2 young boys. Now alcohol if a nail in my coffin if I stick with it. Man it's a fight.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2013 View Post
I can't get the chat option to work on my iPhone. Not sure why it's not connecting. Might try to find an AA meeting. I grew up I them as a kid with drunk daddy, and doper brother. Didn't even drink til in the service. Later in life it became a crutch. Now got a wonderful wife 2 young boys. Now alcohol if a nail in my coffin if I stick with it. Man it's a fight.
It's a fight for all of us and sadly some of us have troubling winning that fight. You have a family to care about and it sounds like you want to give it up. AA could be an option, assuming you don't need to detox to quit drinking.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey JL2013.

You're in a very difficult place in your life right now.

I encourage you get some regular face-to-face support.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JL2013

Thanks folks, ill try a meeting. These post help a lot. Just knowing you're not alone out there makes all the difference. Ranting will probably help too ! Hahaha
Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whenever I get close to "breaking down", I used to make a mental excuse to drink; I think that's what everyone really does.

What helped me get past that stage was my realization that every single drink, even if it's your first in a week, makes it less likely that you'll be able to resist the temptation of another. So if you're weak enough to buy one drink, you'll be even weaker afterwards, and then it's a downhill slide. Once I tell myself that, the will to resist the first drink is often greater. That, and I tell myself that if I just wait an hour, the temptation will probably have passed. Usually it does.