Notices

dreams of drinking

Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dreams of drinking

So, it's been just over 3 months since I drank last. It seems like now the cravings are getting a little more intense, and I feel more tempted than before. Occasionally, I have these dreams that I'm having a drink.. Anyone else experiencing or experienced this? I would have thought at 3 months things would have gotten a little easier.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a lot of drinking dreams. I'll usually get mad at myself in the dreams though for drinking and wake up and be happy it was just a dream. I'm a little over 2 months sober and the urge and cravings are there, not much you can do.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

One year sober and I still get them in bunches. Just a fact of life at this point.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your dreams or rather your reaction to them shows your focus has changed,

Before you could have the same dream on awakening you would recall what was going on around you, now you notice that you were drinking and react to that

My first sponsor also used to say, "Sometimes I dream I am flying, but that does not mean when I awake, I will be tempted to jump off a building."
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by jmbrandon87 View Post
So, it's been just over 3 months since I drank last. It seems like now the cravings are getting a little more intense, and I feel more tempted than before. Occasionally, I have these dreams that I'm having a drink.. Anyone else experiencing or experienced this? I would have thought at 3 months things would have gotten a little easier.
It might depend on what type of alcoholic you turn out to be. There are many on this site for whom things do get easier as the time since the last drink increases. The don't seem to have to do much other than stop drinking to begin living a happy life.

I am not of that type. Alcohol is not my problem, living sober is. When I just stop drinking without doing anything else, I am fine for a few days and then my internal world starts to fall apart. I don't function well sober, I get unhappy. Being sober is no fun, so I return to the booze looking for that great feeling it once gave me. But it no longer works.

I found I had to do more than stay dry (which I could never manage to do for any sifnificant length of time anyway), I had to try and develop a new way of life.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did not have any dreams until I was at about the three month mark. It scared the crap out of me. I don't actually remember drinking I just remember the feeling afterward. It was liked I dropped into the dream after the fact. What to do, what to do. I was standing in a grocery store trying to decide whether I should buy more or call my sponsor. Then I thought "Oh my God, my sponsor". What will she think? I can't hide this from her. I felt absolutely terrified. Then I woke up. It took most of the day to shake that fear.

If you are in AA then it sounds like it is time to get busy with some step work. If you are not then it is still time to get busy in whatever recovery method you are using and if you are not using one, then it is time to find one.

For me, there is no way I would be where I am today if I just sat the bottle down and walked away. I would have walked right back to it eventually.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Matt M

I've had a few lately where i've dreamed of drinking, but within a minute or so after waking up the want goes.