Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I absolutely & categorically love being sober and not drinking

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I will never, ever drink alcohol again. I absolutely hate feeling drunk. I hate felling out of control and I absolutely detest and despise feeling so sick though alcohol, like feeling I want to die and not wake up.

I absolutely love being sober. I can go out, I can go anywhere, I can drive there & back. I can remember the occasion, I can remember what I said, what I ate, what I drank, whether the band was good or not so. Then I can go home, when Ive had enough and drive home safely. I look lovely all through the event, like, my make-up will still be intact lol, not lipstick smeared all over, red wine devil horns at the corners of my mouth, and eyes bright and not drunk looking. No wine spilled down the front of me like a p.....d slob.

I wake up the next day and do not immediately come to thinking "oh my God, where's my bag, where's my stuff, did I lose my glasses, I can't find them." "did I put my jewelry away, where is it?". No pounding head, racing heart, feeling the world is going to end, feeling I'm going to die, feeling how am I going to cope to get through this day, feeling like this.

I love being sober so much, I never, ever will drink again. Thank you SR for all your help. Xx
Old 10-20-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post, it's exactly what I needed right now.

I'm 41 days sober and I've felt pretty badly the last 5-6 hours. First it was worrying about stuff that is meaningless and then I felt confused and kinda lost. I've felt pretty good for the most part, but tonight wasn't good.

How long have you been sober?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lillyknitting - I totally agree with you 100% Thank you for posting
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree with you: I love being sober too buuuuttt.
I still lose my glasses :p
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Thank you for your post, it's exactly what I needed right now.

I'm 41 days sober and I've felt pretty badly the last 5-6 hours. First it was worrying about stuff that is meaningless and then I felt confused and kinda lost. I've felt pretty good for the most part, but tonight wasn't good.

How long have you been sober?
I've been sober a few months now, my last blast was new years eve. Each time with the same result. I can kid myself I can have a few, then maybe I can, say like, 3/4 wines, but even then I feel rough and hungover. I've got a 30 year drinking history and have tried every conceivable trick in the book lol. The only way is to completely and utterly eradicate alcohol from my life. Full stop. The end. Believe me, alcohol gives nothing. It's a mind altering drug which, whilst embibing makes us think and feel life is better & we can conquer the world. It's a drug. It will kill us. The vast population is deceived by this drug. It's a total waste of my life. I love my life without alcohol, even with all the ups & downs, tragedies and good times life grows at us, alcohol makes it worse not better.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
I will never, ever drink alcohol again. I absolutely hate feeling drunk. I hate felling out of control and I absolutely detest and despise feeling so sick though alcohol, like feeling I want to die and not wake up.

I absolutely love being sober. I can go out, I can go anywhere, I can drive there & back. I can remember the occasion, I can remember what I said, what I ate, what I drank, whether the band was good or not so. Then I can go home, when Ive had enough and drive home safely. I look lovely all through the event, like, my make-up will still be intact lol, not lipstick smeared all over, red wine devil horns at the corners of my mouth, and eyes bright and not drunk looking. No wine spilled down the front of me like a p.....d slob.

I wake up the next day and do not immediately come to thinking "oh my God, where's my bag, where's my stuff, did I lose my glasses, I can't find them." "did I put my jewelry away, where is it?". No pounding head, racing heart, feeling the world is going to end, feeling I'm going to die, feeling how am I going to cope to get through this day, feeling like this.

I love being sober so much, I never, ever will drink again. Thank you SR for all your help. Xx
Yeah, it's like taking poison to try and better your life, it makes nosense.

Alcohol doesn't do anything.

Besides make matters worse, and before I didn't understand that concept, but I heard every one saying it, but I always thought to myself "Worse?? hah! how in the hell can things possibly be any more worse?"..some times I still wish I WOULDN'T had asked, because it sure wasn't God who answered me.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whoo hoo! Exactly. Required reading for all the "I like to drink drinkers out there".
Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go Lilly !

I think the same now. I actually enjoy social occasions so much more now , the clarity in conversations etc is a joy. Go anywhere when and when ,gym at 7am , work as much as I want The list is endless . Drinking takes everything away. Facebook twitter full of dullards going on about wine beer , poor people don't know what they are missing.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys are an inspiration. Day 2 for me. I so wish I could be in the same place as you all are. Just going to take it one day at a time.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I love being sober too
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lillyknitting,

Thanks for a great start on Monday morning.

I would add how much I love NOT being hungover during all the times that I would have been in the past. This will be my third set of the dreaded Xmas holidays since I quit drinking and I certainly don't miss that nasty business!

Have a great week!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

beauty post!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Excellent post, lillyknitting! I shuddered reading some of it, though, as I remember it very well - checking on the handbag, the purse, the phone, the bank cards, the season ticket.... SOOOO glad I don't have to do that ever again!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome post Lily. Words of wisdom.

Seems so simple if you actually take a step back (or 8 steps back) and really look at it.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is awesome and encouraging, thanks so much. Gives me hope I will feel like this eventually.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to everything you wrote, Lilly. I never regret not drinking.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post lilly!

I was thinking this exact same thing last night. For the first time in years I attended our company Halloween party and enjoyed it all. Looking forward to my first set of holidays sober in over a decade.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for such a lovely and encouraging post!

I chuckled at your "red wine devil horns"! I totally know what you mean!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

talking to an old friend today who while i wouldnt exactly say he has terrible addictions he does still use this and that. and seeing how he speaks etc.. I thought the same thing man I'm so happy i'm sober and I dont drink anymore.