Notices

when did you decide to throw in the towel?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when did you decide to throw in the towel?

i really wanna stop, i go on these gigantic benders every week and spend half the week hungover and as soon as i feel better it starts all over. i cant go on like this. its hard though, im in my 20's and everybody drinks. i have no idea what happened to me. it really is progressive.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Astronomical changes often come from tiny beginnings.

All you have to do is not drink today.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have made the first move right there. Admitting it to yourself. It may seem like you are talking to us on this website but the deep reality is you are actually addressing yourself.

From here, now you have admitted the problem, it is easy, and just a matter of time, healing and revelation
Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been there. I drank the same way as you only for thirty years.
And, yes, it really is progressive. The drunks get worse the hangovers get worse.
It wasn't long before I found my self drinking in the morning and all day for three or four days.
I threw in the towel when I knew I was beat. Alcohol won. It was my consuming passion that turned into a nightmare of imibing recovering and going through withdrawals.

Save yourself the misery I went through and stop now. I was a drunken fifty year old before I quit. When I think of all the lost days due to alcoholism I could cry.
Do whatever it takes, a support group, coming here anything but drinking. If you put the effort into not drinking that you do to drinking you almost can't go wrong.

Best to you. I really feel for you because I've been there.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It cant jump up and pour itself in your mouth .

I might be accused of oversimplifying the deal though .
Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jvice09,

I'm in my 20's as well and yes, most students drink, right. But for many of them it is not a problem or an obsession - for me it certainly is. I think you really gotta do it for yourself, wanting to be sober, for me it was the knowledge that I was going to be a complete wreck at the age of 30 if I kept going - everything was going down the drain, yes, definitely very pro-
gressive.

And remember that many of those "partying" students or young people in general will end up with a serious alcohol problem if they don't quit sooner or later. For some it will be too late to quit, because they will simply be dead from it. That's like I said really what hit me hard - that as an active alcoholic, you are playing russian roulette I think. I'm sure you can quit drinking and move on with your life, but whatever you do (and if that includes binges a couple of times a week that's fine in my book as long as you really want to do that), I wish you good luck and peace!

Edit: by the way, I can totally relate to what you've posted. "I really don't know what happened." That was me exactly. Suddenly I stood there realising that I was a total drunk and my life was going down the toilet, but a few years before it all seemed to be such "innocent fun"...very creepy drug this is.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try to think forward a few years. All of your drinking friends will settle down and marry, have children and stop partying every night. You'll still be in the bar getting plastered because it will become your career. It will be the best non paying profession you ever had and if you're not careful it could be you last.

I'm glad you are seeing the dangers now before it goes too far. It is a lonely ride after your friends take the other fork in the road.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I threw in the towel when it was obvious there was no other option. I made every attempt at moderation, only drinking certain days etc tried every other possible option and my research concluded it had to be done
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Try to think forward a few years. All of your drinking friends will settle down and marry, have children and stop partying every night. You'll still be in the bar getting plastered because it will become your career. It will be the best non paying profession you ever had and if you're not careful it could be you last.

I'm glad you are seeing the dangers now before it goes too far. It is a lonely ride after your friends take the other fork in the road.
WOW, Simple and powerful! There is nothing more for me to add, except, I'm one more rootin for ya!!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I threw in the towel when my husband and kids said they were done with me. I knew that they meant it too. I've been sober now for almost five years.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi JVICEO9,
I understand how "everyone" drinks at 20, binging and hangovers lasting for days til you feel normal enough to do it all over again. I was finally tired of it after 33 years! I picked up an AA big book someone had left behind, and decided it couldn't hurt to read it...I started learning how this is a DISEASE, and not just a problem of will power! I tried to quit on my own and lasted 2 days!! That is when I realized if I wanted to quit for good, I was going to need help to do it. I was so afraid to ask for help, but more afraid not to! I just celebrated one year of sobriety!
I am working the steps, have a sponsor, did things wrong, kept on trying, cried, got honest, did more things wrong, but kept trying. I gave myself a break, I learned to not be so hard on myself. I let people care about me (that was and still is tough)
Some days are good, some not good at all. I keep at it. wow, I am doing it, you can too!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mpr

I quit in my mid 20's too. Partying on weekends progressed to me getting hammered every night at home, alone.

I threw in the towel when I literally drank myself to the point where my days were ruined due to me feeling sick. I couldn't function well, didn't do the things I should and i'd just be looking forward to my nightly drinks. Basically it was rock bottom for me. You are smart enough to have identified the problem, form a game plan and tackle it.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi JVICE,

Just checking in to see how your doing. Let us know!

TrixMixer