Notices

Binge drinking

Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking

Im a binge drinker I drink to get **** my pants drunk. This always happens I will sober up for a few weeks start feeling great then I say to my self I can just have a few. That always leads to a two or three day non stop bender. I don't want that to happen this time any advice on how to keep that from happening?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't take that first drink.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Solid advice. The thing Ishtar for some reason I always tell my self that it will be different this time. Its like a bad relationship you know that it's bad for you but you just keep trying to make it work!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83polk View Post
Solid advice. The thing Ishtar for some reason I always tell my self that it will be different this time. Its like a bad relationship you know that it's bad for you but you just keep trying to make it work!
It doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work is because after the first drink, it's a different brain making the decisions. That brain then decides more drinks are ok. When drunk, there isn't really any rational thought anymore so we drink to oblivion. Wash, rinse, repeat. If doing the same thing over and over, which obviously doesn't work, why expect a different result?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I was a binge drinker. When I drank it was to get drunk, period. I follow the "don't have the first one" philosophy. It works for me.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's that ole AV talking.
"I can have a few"
"I have this under control now"
"I can moderate and stop"
"I'm feeling good,so a couple wont hurt"
"It's the weekend"
"it's a holiday"
"It's my birthday"
"Rough day at work"
"Great day at work"

And the list could go on forever.
The best thing to do is recognize that voice of stupidity and ignore it!
Stay away from that first drink and keep adding up those days of sobriety.
It will get easier as time goes by.
And take it one day ate a time.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the aforementioned. Wholeheartedly I have had to come to the realization that ONE DRINK = CATASTROPHE. I have done A LOT of IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE believing that lie of "just have one" Instead of my reply being "You think I'm a fool?" I'd say yeah, one sounds fine, it's nice outside, i can relax, rough day at work, you're all alone, no one will ever know, to me it doesn't take much and the enemy knows my patterns, so I can't be surprised by what he comes with, lurking around waiting to pounce and destroy me. I CAN NOT and WILL NOT BELIEVE THE LIE ANY LONGER. That's what I have to get in my head every single day. It may end up being once that day and 50 the next. It only matters to make it a daily decision to not be defeated, after all it's up to me. Stay Strong and SOBER
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83polk View Post
Im a binge drinker I drink to get **** my pants drunk. This always happens I will sober up for a few weeks start feeling great then I say to my self I can just have a few. That always leads to a two or three day non stop bender. I don't want that to happen this time any advice on how to keep that from happening?
My predicament to the letter, if you find a solution drop me a pm mate!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

I am the same type of drinker. The only solution I have found is not to take a drink at all. I may go months to a year or longer, but if I have a drink it always ends the same. Just don't drink and it won't happen. That is the only guarantee.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If you don't take that first drink you won't get drunk. Very logical and absolutely true. My problem was I did not realise I had taken the first drink until I was on the fifth. I ahd no effective mental defense against that first drink, and no control after it.

So the problem is to find a defense against that strange mental blank spot that always presedes the first drink. I found it through AA.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would do the same thing back when when I wasn't really "dependent" on alcohol. Then it would build up to me finding stupid reasons to drink. Just don't drink! Avoid it by all means.