Notices

Meet my uncle Ezra Brooks....

Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Meet my uncle Ezra Brooks....

I've been trying to go more than 5 days sober. But I am failing every week! I can go all week sober, I start to sleep normal, the night sweats stop, etc. Then Friday comes and I am at the liquor store for a $13 bottle of Ezra Brooks bourbon and it starts all over. (I have averaged 2-3 bottles for the past three weekends.)

Sunday night I start super-hydrating and I am fine Monday morning. The funny thing is, I stay productive all weekend. I cook, can veggies and go to church, all the while sipping whiskey (except the church part!!).

How do I kick this routine?? I am desperate to sober up 100%, not just during the week!! Its like a switch in my head tells me its party time or something!!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried thinking about making different plans for next weekend at all Orion?

thinking about changes you could make?
or different support you could use?

D
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Orion90 View Post
How do I kick this routine?? I am desperate to sober up 100%, not just during the week!! Its like a switch in my head tells me its party time or something!!
No one is in recovery for a routine. We recover from addiction. So incorporate some recovery activity into your Friday...BEFORE the switch goes off.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I understand this, but does anyone else go all week clean and then go buts with the bottle over the weekend??

Do I have a true addiction? Or just bad habits or something??
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea, I think lots of people do that. Every Friday at 5PM, my local radio station plays that song, Finally Friday by George Jones. That song pretty much sums up that mentality. I have to fight it myself. I think probably for eveyone in early recovery, the weekends are the most difficult.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

it's not about how often or how much we drink.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

The only person who can say whether or not you are addicted is yourself.

Addiction is doing something against your better judgment. If you honestly believe that drinking is harming you , but yet for some reason you find yourself drinking anyway.

If someone finds themselves to be addicted, there are many ideas and methods to break that cycle.
I found AVRT and the Rational Recovery site and literature, to be extremely helpful.
wish you the best
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Do I have a true addiction? Or just bad habits or something??
Addiction...habit...does it matter? If you can't quit, despite the strong desire to be sober, you have a problem. The problem could be dependence on alcohol...or the problem could be you don't really want to be sober.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand this, but does anyone else go all week clean and then go buts with the bottle over the weekend??
That was more or less my M.O. Not that I NEVER drank during the week but it was mostly a weekend thing. For the most part I didn't really miss it during the week.

Then those weekend binges started lasting into Monday or Tuesday and beyond. And they got more frequent. I guess it got to where most of the time I was either bingeing or recovering from it, with a handful of "feel-good" days before I started the next binge.

It's really no way to live and a great way to invite all kinds of horrible consequences. Ask me how I know.