Notices

Drinking A Love Story by Caroline Knap

Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking A Love Story by Caroline Knap

Just finished this book last week. I could relate to a lot of it ...the functional alcoholic and the "there but somewhat distant " family. I skimmed through the eating disorder and dysfunctional relationships with the two boyfriends parts. Never been there. After reading it I read her bio online and discovered she had died at 42 of lung cancer. Defeated by another deadly vice. If I remember correctly she dismissed her smoking by saying "at least I'm no longer a drunk." or something to that affect. I may be mistaken.

Has anyone else read it?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, just about everything she did (apart from the eating disorder) I could relate to. I had no idea what I wanted in relationships and the way she talked about those and her feelings was exactly what was going on for me. It took me a couple of years after reading the book to stop but I re-read it and kept seeing similarities in the way she was acting. I couldn't relate to the amount she was drinking as I didn't drink that way but I couldn't deny her behaviour and mine were very similar. This book helped me realise the extent of my alcohol problems. If anyone thinks they are a so-called high functioning female alcoholic I'd really recommend it (especially if you're having issues admitting you could be an alcoholic). It helped me realise how I was not functioning emotionally in the slightest, just like Caroline wasn't when drinking.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She is one of my all time favorites. She has a couple others but Pack of Two, her second book, about how her relationship with her dog and her sobriety, is really touching and amazing. Highly recommend
Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found myself underlining a lot of passages throughout the book.
Its still on my desk today. (I read it well over a year ago)
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, I plan to read this book.

Quick sidebar...recently read "Terry: My Daughter’s Life-And-Death Struggle With Alcoholism"...written by former Senator & 72' Democratic Presidential candidate, George McGovern. Was powerful, and oh so sad.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read Drinking A Love Story - for me, it remains one of the most powerful books I've read on alcoholism.

D
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I picked this book up at a thrift store for .50 after one of the many times I was "contemplating" if I had a problem with alcohol. The story is about a woman, but the line toward the end " do I drink because I'm unhappy, or am I unhappy because I drink" changed my thinking. I was high functioning as well, but still an alcoholic. I feel that book was nothing less than my HP ( whom I hadn't met yet) getting me started toward sobriety. On the 23 rd ill have 18 months after two decades of drinking. I owe everything to that book!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erics View Post
I picked this book up at a thrift store for .50 after one of the many times I was "contemplating" if I had a problem with alcohol. The story is about a woman, but the line toward the end " do I drink because I'm unhappy, or am I unhappy because I drink" changed my thinking. I was high functioning as well, but still an alcoholic. I feel that book was nothing less than my HP ( whom I hadn't met yet) getting me started toward sobriety. On the 23 rd ill have 18 months after two decades of drinking. I owe everything to that book!
Well done on the 18 months! And you're right, it's a story that's applicable to anyone, male or female. One line that also stuck in my head is her quoting someone saying, "if I make an unhealthy choice that's usually the alcoholic one". It's only now I realise that my unhealthy choices (that I still need to work on) are one of the massive problems I had as an alcoholic. I could not figure anything out.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Knapp's book is the definitive book on women and drinking. So forthright, honest and compelling that it often takes your breath away. Someone else has done this, been there, admits to all of the dark, shameful and dreadful things that we as alcoholics, and especially as women, won't even admit to ourselves, much less to an audience of millions. Men are also deeply affected by the power of this memoir.

Her other three books, "Alice K' s Guide to Life", "Appetites" and "A Pack of Two" are also terrific. Several weeks before her death (of lung cancer in June of 2002) she married long time boyfriend Mark Morelli, a photographer who still lives and works in Cambridge. Mark kept her beloved dog Lucy, who passed away recently (Caroline and Lucy are together again...a pack of two).

Caroline' s best friend, editor Gail Caldwell, published a memoir about their friendship and her untimely death called "Lets Take the Long Way Home", which I also loved, because it introduced a whole new side of Caroline. I too grieved when she passed, because her book, above all others, directly affected my path to sobriety.

If you enjoyed "Drinking...", I would also recommend Heather King' s memoir "Parched". It's my second choice for best written recovery experience.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you need to be a woman to get something out of it though - I wasn't, lol.

D
Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right you are Dee...I edited my post to reflect your suggestion. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll have to get the Caldwell book too - thanks for the tip longbeachone

D
Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I related to it all, eating disorders, men and alcohol
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes, I read it. Incredibly powerful.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Described MY addiction in explicit detail----no self pity in Knapp, just an honest look at her life with alcohol. So sad to have lost her voice so very early.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great book. I loved it. I could completely relate with a ton of her thinking and I'm a young man.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great book

Read it, think about so many parts each day yet continue to screw up. I think I need to read it over and over........
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just finished reading this book yesterday and found i could very much relate to her thought patterns and experiences of how her drinking impacted upon the relationships she had. Very good read for anyone with an addiction to alcohol.I am looking forward to reading her other books.