Notices

having a bad day

Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

having a bad day

I had a bad night last night at work and got some constructive negative feedback from a coworker found out no one thinks I will make it at my job because I am too slow. I work in a deli. Im trying my hardest at work and yes I am slow but I really try. People gossip about me I heard from him. This is depressing me and yesterday I thought real hard about taking a drink and my ego was badly bruised. But I am not going to take that drink. I stayed sober last night and I plan to go to Boulder with my dad today and to a meeting tonight. Ideally I would like to go to two meetings but I don't want to hurt my dads feelings by not spending time with him.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hello Anoronha, that sucks a bit. It sounds like your co-worker didn't handle it that well as I'm not sure if telling you others is gossiping helped, but maybe they thought they were doing you a favour.

Have you been there long? Could you speak to your manager and ask for their feedback? (if they are approachable) and say how keen you are on the role? It may be that no-one has said anything, but if you discuss it you will know.

It's definitely not worth drinking over, most people I know have been in your situation or similar. I was having a conversation with a friend about jobs the other night. I'm sure in my last job I could have been let go of quite easily, it was a combination of the environment not being great and me struggling. I left in the end. But in the job before that when I first got sober, I did really well, go figure. My friend, couldn't make it in another job a few years ago (she was freelancing) yet she went back there last week, and did a brilliant job.

It sometimes just depends on where we are in life, a job isn't all we are about, though I appreciate it's difficult. I hope you have a good day with your dad, maybe share at the meeting and see if others have been in the same situation.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post

I thought real hard about taking a drink and my ego was badly bruised. But I am not going to take that drink.
that is good no need to fool ourselves yet again
if
I drink it sure does not help me to do anything faster
keep trying at work
and
stay sober
in most all cases it does pay off

Mountainman
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

We turned back to the list, for it held the key to the future. We were prepared to look at it from an entirely different angle. We began to see that the world and its people really dominated us. In that state, the wrong-doing of others, fancied or real, had power to actually kill. How could we escape? We saw that these resentments must be mastered, but how? We could not wish them away any more than alcohol.

This was our course: We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.

Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes

Perhaps there is a better way - we think so. For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity.

learn more on how to handle this situation in the BB. call yer sponsor and work the steps.

only one person I had to be concerned about at work at that was my boss.

I can understand spending time with yer dad, but don't use it as an excuse to take an hour or 2 from yer day to get the help ya deserve.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw my sponsor today and talked to her about last night. I also talked about it with my dad and other people. Im going straight to the person that matters my supervisor and asking her for feedback on my performance. I don't want to lose this job at all its not my dream job but it is a job and it pays the bills and makes me feel good about myself and useful.

I am going to do a spot check inventory tonight and then do some readings recovery related.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At six weeks sober I returned to work only to find that I had been fired and all my gear had been stolen. It didn't occur to me to drink. This was the first concrete example of the wisdom in the words: "Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job - wife or no wife - we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God.

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house."

Sobriety was my number one priority and I was doing everything suggested in the program. Within days another much better job came along. God solved the problem.
If i had got my own way at the time I might well still be stuck in that crappy job.

There have been so many instances in my life where I look back and think thank goodness I didn't get my own way. God's plan is much better.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go on not drinking over it and finding healthy recovery behaviors instead!!