Notices

1 year sober

Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 year sober

Today I am one year sober. I am also 37 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I was involved somewhat in AA during the first few months of sobriety but haven't been to a meeting since I picked up my 6 month chip. I don't have a sponsor or a home group. The first few times I tried to get sober I was very serious about attending meetings, but I hated going and kept relapsing. I decided to try to do things differently this time and only go if I feel t like I needed to and so far it is working. However I really want to go pickup my year chip tonight but I feel guilty since I havent really worked all of the steps or been involved. Is is bad if I still go pick up a chip?? I would really like to hear your thoughts
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bad? No way. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking".

You earned that chip. A year sober is something to be proud of. Congratulations.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Congrats on the 1 year! I never went to AA till i got my 1 year and got my chip. I didnt really feel guilty about it I needed to go. I went a handful of times after that but then life got busy new baby etc.. and I didnt have time to get back to meetings. Then my 2 year came and I thought I should go but like you I felt ugg I dont wanna walk in there just to get a chip etc.. So I ordered it online Dunno if thats kosher but Heck I earned it! I do miss the applauase from the others there tho etc.. and I do keep meaning to get back tho most of the folks there I never really hit it off with etc.. I was just another warm body around the table.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Havent been to AA but am over two years sober. Its a great achievement to get to one year. I bought myself a guitar and i still have that special connection with it. I also joined the one year and over thread in the threads section. The other thing is the 15th of each month is a special day for me, i regard my sobriety date with more specialness than my birthday.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year. It really is a milestone.
I went to AA twice a week for the first 6 months. I pretty much quit going at 9 months. But every year I go back and get my yearly coin. I am on year 4 right now. I am always glad I did it when I leave. Every year it's mostly new faces.
I never could get past step #4 and I also never had a sponsor. Soooo the way I see it,it wouldn't really be right for me to attend full time. Because I wasn't following the rules. I don't think it would be setting a good example for people newly sober. And I am not going to pretend.
I am a firm believer in what they say about AA."Take what you need and leave the rest". And I NEED the yearly coin. I always throw a 20 in the pot to help cover the cost. Small price for sobriety in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents.
Fred
Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on a year's sobriety.

No thoughts on the chip,we don't have them at the meetings I attend.

And congratulations on the pregnancy.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
Congrats on a year. It really is a milestone.
I went to AA twice a week for the first 6 months. I pretty much quit going at 9 months. But every year I go back and get my yearly coin. I am on year 4 right now. I am always glad I did it when I leave. Every year it's mostly new faces.
I never could get past step #4 and I also never had a sponsor. Soooo the way I see it,it wouldn't really be right for me to attend full time. Because I wasn't following the rules. I don't think it would be setting a good example for people newly sober. And I am not going to pretend.
I am a firm believer in what they say about AA."Take what you need and leave the rest". And I NEED the yearly coin. I always throw a 20 in the pot to help cover the cost. Small price for sobriety in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents.
Fred
Awesome, Fred. You're an inspiration! You did it your way but you did it.