Notices

Experience with Antabuse?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I took my first Antabuse pill today, so I'm now committed. I've asked my wife to be sure I take it each morning and don't forget. I'll let you know how it's going periodically, but I think this is what I need. Anybody know of a good list of foods to avoid while taking Antabuse?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Ranger,
I read up on what to avoid while using Antabuse. Most of my information was compiled from people that used it. Obviously anything with alcohol. I changed my deodarant and shaving cream. Most people said anything with vinegar ...which is a hell of a lot of good stuff. White wine vinegar and distilled vinegar are alcohol based. I questioned the distilled until I looked it up myself.

I eat things with vinegar as long as I have it in small doses. It don't have any problem with it but it could be my metabolism. Also, not to sound like a cheap *******... but I'm a cheap ******* and I only take 1/2 my 250mg pill a day to make them last longer. I have no intentions on experimenting to see if I can drink on them so I could be taking a placebo for all I care to know. Be cautious and read as much as possible.
Volstead.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Ranger
I have been on Antabuse for 4 months. I have no problems with food at all, and I add wine, spirits, vinegar and vanilla essence to my cooking. I have never had a problem with food as the wine is usually cooked (alcohol cooks out) and if using in a desert the amount used is small, and unless I eat the entire desert made by myself, the alcohol content is divided by serving. Vinegar has made no impact at all.
I have had 1 glass of wine over the four months in 4 seperate occasions, and in each case I have gone bright red, my eyes have gone very bloodshot and I have had a slight headache. That's enough to make me stop drinking each time. My husband also says stop, as the bloodshot eyes look really bad and that's enough to let him know that I have had a drink.
I am also having counselling and have made massive changes in my life... So still one day at a time...it's bloody hard...and ultimately I feel better and cope better each day.
The Antabuse takes the choice away, and therefore I am learning and building my coping skills without using a crutch. And I have to say that I am a better person because of Antabuse TODAY
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've now been sober for nine days, and been taking Antabuse for six. This was what I needed, because I am not tempted to drink on Antabuse, not knowing how bad the results will be. Also, since I stopped drinking, I have lost six pounds, and I've started exercising again, now that I don't feel bad in the morning. Finally, I am more productive at work, and I can help my wife with projects around the house at night. This is the best thing that I've done in a long time.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great news Ranger! Keep up the good work.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ranger, that's great news! I'm day 47 on Antabuse and never felt better! It was definitely what I needed to get me started on sobriety. I'm up bright and early and work out every morning, get to work an hour early to work on projects I've been putting off . Eat healthier and getting more sleep and it shows! I've noticed my mental clarity and reflexes are remarkably better.

Also, the other day I was driving in a parking lot and somehow p*ssed off somebody...not even sure what I did, so, the guy comes over and starts yelling at me ...the old me would have had a heated verbal exchange with the guy until we were on the brink of blows and it would have ruined my day... I looked at the rage on the guys face and it just struck me as funny so I just laughed and said "Have a nice day." and walked away. It's a welcome change.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Volstead,

Kudos to you! 47 days is fantastic. Keep it up.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger83 View Post
I took my first Antabuse pill today, so I'm now committed. I've asked my wife to be sure I take it each morning and don't forget. I'll let you know how it's going periodically, but I think this is what I need. Anybody know of a good list of foods to avoid while taking Antabuse?
It shouldn't be your wife's job to make sure you take your pill, but yours. You probably know already your wife wants you sober, you have to figure out if you want you sober, if it takes someone reminding you that you want to be sober, do you really want it? If that is the case, remember to take your own pill. She has enough to deal with when you start actually feeling and remembering. She saw it all. Own it. You own it.

Don't put that kind of pressure on your wife. YOU remember to take the pill. Let her get healthy without trying to figure you out as well.

Your job, not hers. It's your sobriety.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I want to get on this i dont know if i should do the injection or pill I'm just unsure of how strict it is in terms of foods or body products.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ranger, I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing..that's your decision but I applaud the fact you got your wife involved. As with most of us alcoholics there is a lot of trust issues. You and your wife are a team if you want her involved then that's your choice. Hell, I'd get the postman involved if I thought it would help. I personally would take it every morning and celebrate with her and maybe do an Antabuse dance. I'm not married so dancing by myself would be kinda pathetic ....I think. I'm about to take my pill . I'll find out.

Volstead.