Notices

My first sober concert

Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My first sober concert

Went to see Ted Nugent last night and he rocked the house. Held my seltzer water with lime in hand the entire evening. I had very interesting observations.

I always thought that people drank as much as I did at these events. This isn't true. I witnessed many people who were there just having a good time and appeared to have no more than a few.

Then, there was the portion of the crowd that I would have been part of. All over the place and visibly drunk. One guy was standing behind his friends swaying and I cleared out of the way knowing that soon he would be toppling on the floor. He kept holding on to his friend and then eventually left. What a way to pay for a concert and enjoy it.

Then, I was surprised when Ted was talking and professed his sobriety. This is something that I never knew. I stood and smiled with my seltzer water in hand.

I'm so thankful that as exhausted as I am this morning that I will still make it to work and more importantly, I am not sick and dealing with a hangover. I would have been calling into work right now trying to make up that I ate something that didn't agree with me. What's worse is that everyone knew I was going to the concert and they would have known full well why I was calling in.

Most importantly though, I attended an event that I would have thought was boring and lame if I couldn't drink and I actually found that I had a far better time. It was nice to be present to discuss the concert when I left the venue and to be able to drive home. In fact, I had a better time than I would have had if I were drinking.

Every day I am reminded THIS CAN BE DONE!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I saw "terrible" Ted as a teenager (I'm 51 now). Absolutely the LOUDEST concert I've ever been to. We got down to the floor right in front of the wall of speakers. My ears were ringing for 3 days...thought I damaged myself.

I remember the gates opened late and the crowd started pushing and shoving. It got pretty scary and a few people got hurt.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What's even cooler is being able to remember all the details of the concert. The crowd sometimes can be just as amusing as the stage performers.

BTW, I saw the Motor City Madman last at the Rapid City Civic Center back in 2001. I was sober and rode my bike solo to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally by myself after a dicey breakup. Ted was a great way to end a very peculiar week. Good times.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pretty awesome,isnt it?
my 1st concert in recovery was CSN. same experience.. I was more amazed at seeing the amount of people who weren't drinkin or smoking a fatty than at how good CSN sounded.
and them ones not drinkin/smoking a fatty were havin a great time,too!
and there I was thinkin all them years that EVERYONE drank/drugged at concerts!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Good job!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My son and I recently went to see the Matchbox 20. My son is 9 months sober and I only drink a few drinks on holidays so we had sodas all evening. We had several young people beside us who were so drunk they were acting like fools. Saw several guys staggering in the aisle, but otherwise everyone else was just enjoying the music.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Have had similar experiences and observations as you. However, I do still act like a fool sometimes, but it's out of choice
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first heard that Nugent never drank or did drugs I found that amazing, especially being in the music business as long as he has.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post, Lady! I can totally relate. Who woulda thunk we could have such a good time sober?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Davestwincam View Post
When I first heard that Nugent never drank or did drugs I found that amazing, especially being in the music business as long as he has.
I know! I didn't even know this! Anyone who has ever seen him in his earlier days in concert that wasn't aware of it would never believe it.

It puts me in mind of someone I invited out for a drink last year. She said "I don't drink, I'm crazy enough without it". I've used that line a few times myself
Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davestwincam View Post
saw him back in about '85. warmed up for aerosmith. he blew em off the stage.i think steven tyler and the boys were in the midst of their addictions at the time. they weren't very good.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

With his penchant for teenage girls and his racist comments, I'm not a fan of Ted Nugent. My first sober concert was to see The Rolling Stones. Mick was sick, they cut the show short, and there was a riot. I made it through it. Lost count of the number of shows since then. They are a lot more enjoyable when you're not puking or passed out.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I recently did the same. First sober show in over 10 years. Saw a documentary about Ted along time ago and basically said he got drunk one night and his dad kicked his ass so he's stayed sober all these years.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

mick jagger wasn't any better when it comes to the teenage girls.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have found it so enlightening to realize how many wonderful experiences can be had while sober, (and much more enjoyable!)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Raising a glass of sweetea and toasting the day when this is a conversation about concerts(period) Cheers!