Notices

stepping outside yourself and examining yourself

Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stepping outside yourself and examining yourself

has anyone ever done this? i do it quite often and I never relly like the results. I can really see who I am and what I present to other people. I don't seem to be at peace with myself. I know I have a lot of work to do. I also know the work never stops. I still see myself as a very "lost" soul. Is it all my fault that I am that way? I don't know. I seem to be a peg that you have a hard time finding a hole for. Anyway I was wondering if this self examination is good or helpful or if its just being neurotic?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life."
(Tom Powers - 12&12 page 98)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi cabo . I can relate. I've often felt like a lost type soul & separate. Have a tendency to isolate, never really "fitting" in. I don't think fault really matters, it's not a fault in my eyes anyhow. I feel that what helps is really learning to live authentically, really examine our dreams & what we want. Set aside expectations & preconceived notions. Who are you? What do you like? What do you see and want for your life? I'm 45 & learning these things. You're not neurotic. You have great thoughts & questions about life.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
"There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life."
(Tom Powers - 12&12 page 98)

I don't understand what that means Boleo but thanks
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
has anyone ever done this? i do it quite often and I never relly like the results. I can really see who I am and what I present to other people. I don't seem to be at peace with myself. I know I have a lot of work to do. I also know the work never stops. I still see myself as a very "lost" soul. Is it all my fault that I am that way? I don't know. I seem to be a peg that you have a hard time finding a hole for. Anyway I was wondering if this self examination is good or helpful or if its just being neurotic?
Cabo,
yeah, i can quite easily and/or frequently feel like that. or, maybe more accurately: feel like that much more often than i had thought i would after quitting drinking. i had expected some of the "square-peggishness" to magically disappear. when it didn't, i was left with MORE awareness of it, and/or fewer excuses

is this self-examination good, helpful or neurotic?
well, i'd say it depends on what you DO with it.....
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Cabo!
I can empathize....Introspection can be a good thing but some of us get bogged down in negative self-talk when we do it.

You might want to read a bit on mindfulness. I can't fully explain it here, but it helped me a great deal.