Notices

Pet is gravely ill

Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As a fellow animal lover, I can empathize. Sounds like a tough spot. Also sounds like you're being realistic, while at the same time keeping hope alive. I'd say you're doing all you can, and doing all the right things. Your cat is lucky to have such a caring and thoughtful owner. All the best.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Just remember, its not about you. Let kitty go. I had to relieve my cats suffering to finally relieve myself. I had to realize my cats pain was more than mine.

HUGS
Believe me, his welfare is first and foremost in my mind.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thinking about you, GD....
I've never had a pet that lived that long and I can only imagine how much harder it would be to let them go. Hang in there.....
Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful

Sorry I haven't posted sooner GHD but this is a tough thread for me too. I had to put my girl (in my sig) down on June 14th and it still hurts. I don't know if you pray or not, but if you do ask your HP for guidance. I found that there was really no right decision for me. I was going to feel guilty that I put her down too early or guilty I didn't put her down soon enough. I had to decide what was right for her and try to keep my emotions out of my decision (very hard to do). After looking at the facts as objectively as I could I made my decision. My girl saw the same vet all of her life so we put a lot of trust in his advice, and he said he thought it was time, which really helped ease our mind.

I hope your kitty rallies and is able to spend some more time with you GHD. Regardless of what happens, for him to live to this ripe old age means he had a great, loving owner.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I don't know if you pray or not, but if you do ask your HP for guidance. I found that there was really no right decision for me. I was going to feel guilty that I put her down too early or guilty I didn't put her down soon enough. I had to decide what was right for her and try to keep my emotions out of my decision (very hard to do). After looking at the facts as objectively as I could I made my decision. My girl saw the same vet all of her life so we put a lot of trust in his advice, and he said he thought it was time, which really helped ease our mind.
Yes, I do pray for guidance. I also trust in my vet to tell me when it is time. I know exactly what you mean about too early or too late. I had to put my other cat down (this one's brother) last August. I still don't know if it was too early or too late. He was in pain from arthritis, but I couldn't bring myself to put him down until his liver started failing (at least we think that was what was going on--the ER vet wasn't much help (it was a Sunday, of course, when things got scary).

The pain issue really bothers me a lot. I know there have been times in the past that I have been in so much pain that I wished someone would put me down (I've had to deal with my own medical issues in the past--healthy right now though). This time around, the antibiotics should take away my cat's pain soon. I see signs this morning that he is resting more comfortably.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm afraid my little guy lost the battle this afternoon. But in the end, he had a long and happy life.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bless you for loving him the way you did. He was a very lucky kitty. You did everything possible to help him & now he's out of pain and free. (I believe we see them again.)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hope your kitty gets better. Me and my dog sending love your way
Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
(I believe we see them again.)
Me too.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am so sorry GroundhogDay.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So sorry about your cat Groundhog. You cared for him so well & he knows. You did the right things.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm sorry that you are going through this

I understand how you're feeling, my brat kitty passed away 3 years ago on May 23rd and she would have been 20 that August. I'm grateful to have had her that long but pets are family. Sometimes we feel closer to them then we do most humans.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear it. In the future you'll often be able to look back fondly on your time together. Today you're going to be hurting. Sorry about that. I really think you handled this very well, and hope other pet owners can get something from your thoughtful sharing of this information.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

sorry for your loss groundhog
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, GHD. As others have said, your cat could have had no better owner. Thoughts and deepest sympathies tonight.

(and a Big Hug )
Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so sorry, GroundhogDay.... I wish these things weren't part of the "natural order", but it's obvious you and your kitty had a wonderful life together filled with love. It will take some time to heal so be good to yourself.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, GHD. I had to let my Elvis-kitty go in January and it was incredibly hard. However, he had actually kept me from relapsing at one time, he was my buddy, and I promised I would not let him suffer.

Do I still grieve his loss? Yes. However, I learned a lot from my buddy, and I'm grateful.

My hugs and prayers are going out to you, as this is terribly hard. Our pets aren't pets, they are family.

I choose to imagine my "baby" on "Rainbow Bridge" with all the fur/feather/reptile babies I've learned about here. In my vision...they know we are close to each other, and they are on that bridge working out how best to help us all.

It may not work for you, but it does help me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss GHD. You cared for kitty until the end and I'm sure it was a comfort to him.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend