Notices

Are people born alcoholics ?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Weather science can prove it or not .

I think a genetic predisposition exists for alcoholism

Look at other genetic traits

I can support this with a few examples too .
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've heard people say that they were once normal drinkers and, at some point, crossed a line and began drinking alcoholically. I have no reason to disbelieve them. Me? I had an alcoholic reaction to booze from the get go -- first drunk at six years old and pursued it until 34 when I was desperate enough to do something about it and get sober.

I believe I was born alcoholic -- that the only necessary ingredient for alcoholism to manifest in my life was the addition of alcohol. I can't help or change my reaction to alcohol once it's in my body. That doesn't mean I'm not responsible. At some point, through experiencing the consequences of alcoholic drinking and through the observations (nice way to put it) from others, I came into full ownership of my drinking and what it did to me and those around me. I'm not responsible for my condition, but I am responsible for my recovery.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I believe that anyone can become alcoholic. It is in the human genome, along with all the other stuff... you know... ADHD, ODD, OCD... I don't worry too much about it.

I was born curious, I know that! So were a whole bunch of people in my family.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Just an observation between my brother and I. He started drinking in his early teens. Right from the start he got black out drunk. I wouldn't physically have been able to do that. I would have gotten sick. He has been drinking like that for 25 years. I had my running and was not really interested in alcohol. Then in my early 30's I started working afternoons and would go out to the bar after work with everyone. Slowly I developed that ability to drink more and more. One night when I was 35 my body showed it's ability to tolerate alcohol. First time I ever blacked out when I woke up on the couch with no memory as to how I got there. For 10 years I kept going further down that road until I came to the final checkpoint. All in or All out. So I guess which one of us you would ask. He would say "born" and I would say "made".
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I believe in a genetic predisposition, but I also believe there's a lot more than that in play. My husband has an identical twin. My husband is not an alcoholic, his twin is. Interesting, to say the least. We've discussed why and can't figure it out. They went to college together, were roommates, were in the same fraternity, and played in the same bluegrass band in bars for years. My husband drank as much as his brother in their early adulthood. He rarely drinks at all now, just a beer now and then. How did this happen? No answers on our part.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think that an alcoholic's body reacts and processes alcohol differently than a non-alcoholic's body. I see part of alcoholism as similar to an allergic reaction.