Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Bringing something to drink to an outing where there's alcohol

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Yesterday I attended my 2nd event since sobriety (55 days today). I had a plan in action for times when I would be going to functions and had been also warned by my sponsor to be mindful of people handing me drinks or asking me to taste a drink. For that reason I bring my own drink in case there isn't anything non alcoholic there. Most parties will have non alcoholic beverages but why risk it?

The first function that I went to I brought a bottle of sparkling cider and to tell you the truth, it really wasn't that great. It really wasn't that fizzy. It's weird when you're first sober the discoveries that you make. Although what I was drinking was non alcoholic I still physically drank the same way. Sip, put down, sip again at about 30 to 45 seconds, repeat, repeat. Funny observation.

Yesterday was my 2nd event and this time another discovery. Since I love beer what I love in the heat is the feeling of those bubbles going down when I swallow. So this time I bought Schweppes Seltzer with raspberry and one with orange. It was actually quite satisfying because it gave the burn of the bubbles and I fully enjoyed that I was still remaining sober. The discovery at this party was that knowing me as I do, I could see situations where, had I been drinking, I would have made an a** of myself either by an action or by words. Odd watching others put themselves in that same position and so thankful that it's not me anymore.

Last part of my plan is that I sign up for the 24 hour club on here. I save doing that for when I really really need an extra boost. It's a mind game that I play with myself but it works. If I request it and I'm in, I'm in. No circumstance can change that I've been given that 24 hours.

So nice to leave with dignity in tow and feeling great this morning.

What is your plan when you go to an event that has alcohol?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to not go yet! i'm only just over a month. we have a holiday in a couple of weeks and i'm already wondering what on earth we're going to do with our evenings....
Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good common sense. Having a plan before hand.

A good part of recovery is rational thinking and actions.

At festivals and parties many times I've noticed other people who aren't drinking. Not really needing to chat them up but just knowing I'm not the only one not drinking.

Bravo. good for you.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always bring a couple of bottles of Perrier (fancy water) and a fresh lemon or lime...and a box of herbal lemon teabags...enough to share....surprisingly those normal folks enjoy my beverages too.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Last part of my plan is that I sign up for the 24 hour club on here. I save doing that for when I really really need an extra boost. It's a mind game that I play with myself but it works. If I request it and I'm in, I'm in. No circumstance can change that I've been given that 24 hours.

What's that mean?
By the way, congrats on the outing. I'm on day 61, so we're in the same boat time-wise.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post

What's that mean?
By the way, congrats on the outing. I'm on day 61, so we're in the same boat time-wise.
Here you go Warhawk:

Here is a direct link for you:

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (24 Hour Club Sign Up Sheet Part 10)

Also, when you're out on the main page where you see all the forums listed right below "Newcomers to Recovery" is "Newcomer's Daily Support Threads". If you click on that it will take you to a list of threads and you'll find the signup thread there

I think this officially makes me deeker's PR rep!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lady!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I normally drink sprite ,Easy to obtain .
Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

try to avoid acidic fizzy drinks, they cause enamel erosion
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JJB

I know what you mean about the surprising realization that there are other drinks that can be enjoyable -even more so. Like you, I need the bubbles and the coolness so perrier with a slice of lime , in a nice glass, is lovely to sip on in the sunshine.