Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

An alcoholic is an egomaniac with low self esteem...

Notices

An alcoholic is an egomaniac with low self esteem...

Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm still an egomaniac with low self-esteem.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Well - i think you at least pegged me

All we can do is try to improve .

One time when i was in AA my sponsor ,who was a real little fellow said
"You want some hard truth about yourself ".

He said" you wont get mad and kick my ass? ".

I promised him i would not -

He said "You are the most arrogant person i know ".

I had to agree .
This made me laugh because my sponsor called me an "arrogant f&@k".
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Can't relate at all to this thread. I never thought of myself as important or special. I'm certainly not an egomaniac or even egocentric I drank because it quieted my mind. And I liked not thinking for a time.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Can't relate at all to this thread. I never thought of myself as important or special. I'm certainly not an egomaniac or even egocentric I drank because it quieted my mind. And I liked not thinking for a time.
Agreed.

I don't tend to find the whole character defects/big ego modality/knock you down to size/ooga-booga/tough love thingy very helpful. Nor swearing. It makes the song 'Macho Man' by The Village People start going through my mind, and seems a bit silly.

I was thinking that in recovery, it helps me to laugh, and also to look at the positive things about me, and that I'm doing, rather than to make countless lists of flaws and failings that are incidental to the true self.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It is neither accurate nor appropriate to suggest that alcoholism is confined to any particular set of personality characteristics. Sure, there are alcoholics with narcissistic behavior just as there are those with schizoid, histrionic and sociopathic tendencies. And there are also a lot of alcoholics who are pretty well adjusted in ways not related to alcohol. I have known both arrogant and self-effacing alcoholics as well as intellectual and anti-intellectual alcoholics. The only common thread among these people was that they drank too much.

I subscribe to the theory that alcoholism is an ingrained habit reinforced by an acquired tolerance/physical dependency; I don't think it is a specific disease. People can develop and strengthen the habit in a number of ways: they like the buzz; alcohol dulls the pain; a few drinks makes one feel more socially acceptable and so on. For me, an introvert, it helped me to perform well in a career where extroversion was a strength: for a while.

To a point, alcohol can help people adjust to a world in which they don't feel entirely comfortable; it is a socially acceptable crutch. But, it doesn't take very much alcohol to provide the crutch. Used too often and too much, alcohol looses its utility and becomes a habit and then tolerance, increasing consumption and physical dependence enter the picture. One can become an alcoholic regardless of personality; in spite of, or because of nature or nurture; and in spite of our best intentions. I think that one of the reasons there are so many approaches to sobriety is that there are so many approaches to alcoholism.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My idocyncries (sp?) dont bother me a bit anymore ,if others are bothered by them ,then its a free country and they dont have to be around me .
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

self will run riot
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
It is neither accurate nor appropriate to suggest that alcoholism is confined to any particular set of personality characteristics. Sure, there are alcoholics with narcissistic behavior just as there are those with schizoid, histrionic and sociopathic tendencies. And there are also a lot of alcoholics who are pretty well adjusted in ways not related to alcohol. I have known both arrogant and self-effacing alcoholics as well as intellectual and anti-intellectual alcoholics. The only common thread among these people was that they drank too much.

I subscribe to the theory that alcoholism is an ingrained habit reinforced by an acquired tolerance/physical dependency; I don't think it is a specific disease. People can develop and strengthen the habit in a number of ways: they like the buzz; alcohol dulls the pain; a few drinks makes one feel more socially acceptable and so on. For me, an introvert, it helped me to perform well in a career where extroversion was a strength: for a while.

To a point, alcohol can help people adjust to a world in which they don't feel entirely comfortable; it is a socially acceptable crutch. But, it doesn't take very much alcohol to provide the crutch. Used too often and too much, alcohol looses its utility and becomes a habit and then tolerance, increasing consumption and physical dependence enter the picture. One can become an alcoholic regardless of personality; in spite of, or because of nature or nurture; and in spite of our best intentions. I think that one of the reasons there are so many approaches to sobriety is that there are so many approaches to alcoholism.
That's a very eloquent way of putting things. I don't think there is just one set of reasons why people drink to a dysfunctional degree, and to try to class them as such with strident insistence strikes me as the definition of egotistical.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I can relate to it. Actually pretty well. Whether it has any real connection to alcoholism, IDK... And I usually see it more as a feeling of inferiority not so much low self esteem. And really it has to do with an inaccurate self image, and whether it was the result or the cause or completely unrelated to any of my addictions, like I said, IDK...

I found that some real humility was the antidote. Knowing what I am good at and letting myself do that, without getting in my own way, is enormously helpful... Knowing what I am not good at, and admitting it, to myself or others is often equally as helpful. Good work in this area brings serenity. Not just to me, but to others as well.

I hear stuff in the rooms that resonates, I hear other stuff that doesn't... But all of it is someone's experience, some of it may be similar to my own.

If we offer our own experience, that is all we can and should do.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can really relate to jsober. If things had gone the way I had planned out, if other people would just do what I think they should, I would be ok. It's a bitter pill to swallow, when others don't follow your script. I still struggle with this and have drank over it.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I remember i would have suicidal ideations but would talk my self out of it by saying, "what would the world do without me?"
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
That's a very eloquent way of putting things. I don't think there is just one set of reasons why people drink to a dysfunctional degree, and to try to class them as such with strident insistence strikes me as the definition of egotistical.
I wasn't trying to class them as such but merely wanted to see what others thought of that description as I've heard it been used several times.... No strident insistence on my part ...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to the OP. I would have these grandiose thoughts of myself and would blame everyone else for not seeing how great I am...and use that as an excuse to get drunk.

The truth is, I am capable of great things, when I'm not drunk or hungover.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I am/was an egomaniac. I never thought I was particularly great at anything, in fact I'm always being told how critical I am of myself. I would, however, say I am egocentric in the sense that I live in my head and struggle to see things from other's perspectives. When I try it always ends up with me being a failure who has done something to upset them even if the reality is very different. I think I have more power than I actually do in that respect. I believe that other people are more affected by my behaviour, moods and even just my presence than they actually are. Crucially that is not because I think I am important or special but rather because I believe I am fundamentally unlikeable and inferior.

I think having a drinking problem made this worse. It shut me off from the world so I had no choice but to be egocentric; there was no one else in my world.