Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Yikes! I just calculated how many units of alcohol I may have drank in an avg week

Notices

Yikes! I just calculated how many units of alcohol I may have drank in an avg week

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think this is how you do it. Take the size (in milliliters) X the ABV and divide by 1000.

So, for me it was 355 ml X 6.5 (usual ABV of the beer I was drinking) / 1000 X 6 (number of beers) X 7 (number of days in a week - I didn't drink every night, but just for argument's sake):

That's 2.3 units per drink...at 6 per night, that's 13.845 units per night X 7 days = 96.915 units per week.

What does that mean? The NHS (the Brits) say that a safe level of alcohol intake is 3-4 units per day and 21 units per week. I was about 4.5 times the safe alcohol intake per day/week. I had no idea that I was doing so much harm.

Wine
Now, I hear on here that most folks are drinking 2 bottles of wine per night. Let's say the average wine ABV is 12% (it varies from 10% to 23%). The usual wine bottle is 750 milliters. So, let's do the math:

750ml X 2 (two bottles duh) x 12% /1000 x 7

That's 18 units a day and 126 units per week. Divide this by 21 (maximum units per week) will give you how many times you are consuming over the accepted limits, being 6.

So, if you are drinking two bottles of wine per night, you are consuming 6 times the recommended amount of units per week.

Vodka
I'm having fun, so let's do a fifth of vodka, which seems to be the other drink of choice.

Let's use a 750 (a fifth) of Stoly (cheap...boozehound friendly). Stoly is 40 proof. So the math goes like this:

750 X 40% /1000 = 30 units. Just with one fifth of Vodka, you are already over your weekly recommended amount. Jeez.

Don't hurt me if my math is off. But, it really opened my eyes as to how much I actual alcohol I was taking in. That's scary stuff.

Eleven days, baby!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I thought stoli was 80 proof? I never heard of 40 proof vodka. wow the brits seem to think a lot more alcohol per week is ok in comparison to the Americans. 3-4 units per day, some people in AA drank that much. Lets see I drank 24 beers a day 4 days a week on my worst weeks. That would be 96 units of alcohol. som maybe anywhere from 80 to 100 units for me per week
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I thought stoli was 80 proof? I never heard of 40 proof vodka. wow the brits seem to think a lot more alcohol per week is ok in comparison to the Americans. 3-4 units per day, some people in AA drank that much. Lets see I drank 24 beers a day 4 days a week on my worst weeks. That would be 96 units of alcohol. som maybe anywhere from 80 to 100 units for me per week
80 proof is the same as 40%. 200 proof alcohol would be pure, 100% alcohol.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

How many drinks are in common containers? - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA I used this calculator. One pint of whiskey=8.5 drinks x lets say 5= 42.5 drinks per week. 42.5/7 (7 being the safe limit for women per week)=6.07xthe recommended limit. And that wasn't even doing it for me anymore. Yikes is right.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank three 1/2 gallons of (80 proof) whiskey a week, sometimes more. I need no calculations to tell me I drank to much..lol