Notices

I Learned Something Really Useful Today

Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Learned Something Really Useful Today

While going through posts here today i realised something really useful to me and wanted to share It applies globally i guess ( moderators forgive me if im posting in the wrong place ! ) I have decided to read the initial post and then without reading all the replies first , and if im able to based on my experience , reply with any advice or help i can offer. I found by reading all or some of the replies i found myself wanting to answer those posts too ! Its really helping me to remain focussed on the original post and not be drawn into debate , just share my experience in relation to the original post . Hope this may be of some use to someone , the ONLY thing i have is my experience so what others post is really of no consequence to my reply , thats their experience ! ( Im sure im posting this in the wrong place Im new here so moderators forgive me and I will learn where it goes when you correct me ! )
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's a good idea Dave. Sometimes if I read other people's posts I tend to repeat what they say, or I just say something else to be different! Sometimes though the thread moves on from the original post though and the poster has started to ask other questions... I don't think you can post wrong here though
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I think that's a good idea Dave. Sometimes if I read other people's posts I tend to repeat what they say, or I just say something else to be different! Sometimes though the thread moves on from the original post though and the poster has started to ask other questions... I don't think you can post wrong here though

I never thought of that .... Now i wonder if i can scan for quick reposts without stopping to read others ! LoL !
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes threads do move on...

For example, somebody starts a thread on day 1 and then continue posting there. They may be on week 2 and somebody will come along that hasn't read the other replies and say "Congrats on Day 1".

So, for that reason, I read the other replies before posting. Plus, I often find useful information in reading the other replies.

I dunno... maybe consider writing your reply after just reading the original post, but not posting it until you've read all of them.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Remember that people will find these threads through Google searches for years to come.

Bottom line - if you have something helpful to say just say it. Don't worry overmuch about forum protocol and etiquette.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like the idea of focus on the OP

I think it's always a good idea to read through the entirety of the thread though - if nothing else I find that sometimes I don't need to post at all because someone else has said what I was going to say and usually better.

I look at threads like conversations - you speak to the conversation starter, and you join in at a certain point or context.

D