Notices

Official introductions

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Official introductions

Alright? Been here before, well on and off for ten years really. Tried to stop drink all together but to no avail. I'm weened down to a weekend binger but ill all week then drinking again. Vicious cycle. Anyway the missus and I are looking to have a kid so finally want to knock it on the head totally and live a booze free life. Hoping this site can help me as it has in the past. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can do it if I can. Having a kid is a big motivator for many a guy. I think it really helps. so how has drinking just on the weekends effected your life in the negative? How have you been able to control it?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back!

Perhaps you should go to some AA or NA meetings? Cardiff is a lovely place, and even if you don't like the meetings there it would be worth it to travel somewhere for help.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
you can do it if I can. Having a kid is a big motivator for many a guy. I think it really helps. so how has drinking just on the weekends effected your life in the negative? How have you been able to control it?
Thanks. Control during the week but one turns into twenty on the weekend. My life is good at the moment as soon as it goes wrong I feel the same old urges rearing their ugly head.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome back!

Perhaps you should go to some AA or NA meetings? Cardiff is a lovely place, and even if you don't like the meetings there it would be worth it to travel somewhere for help.
Thank you. Meetings not really for me, I know they would be beneficial but feel that keeping in touch with like minded people on sites like this will be enough. Fingers crossed, thanks for the reply though
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
Thank you. Meetings not really for me, I know they would be beneficial but feel that keeping in touch with like minded people on sites like this will be enough. Fingers crossed, thanks for the reply though
It seems that doing things the way you've always done them hasn't worked out for you, including your seeking support from message boards. It also appears that you're not able to get where you want to be on your own. Participating in AA or committing yourself to the many "therapies" that are designed for alcohol and other addictions, such as harm reduction and CBT, is an investment in your life and everything you hold dear.

None of us want to suffer, no matter how important our drinking has become. For those of us who put the drink down, there comes a time when enough is enough. You might ask yourself how much more suffering you're willing to bear before the time is right for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bluebird- During a stint of sobriety a few years back I spent a couple weeks in Carmarthen(?) Drove over Black Mountain (I think it's called that). Such a beautiful part of the world. Welcome and hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post

It seems that doing things the way you've always done them hasn't worked out for you, including your seeking support from message boards. It also appears that you're not able to get where you want to be on your own. Participating in AA or committing yourself to the many "therapies" that are designed for alcohol and other addictions, such as harm reduction and CBT, is an investment in your life and everything you hold dear.

None of us want to suffer, no matter how important our drinking has become. For those of us who put the drink down, there comes a time when enough is enough. You might ask yourself how much more suffering you're willing to bear before the time is right for you.
I fully understand your point of view but I'm willing to give this one more try my way. I hope to prove you wrong in a good way
Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adillac View Post
Bluebird- During a stint of sobriety a few years back I spent a couple weeks in Carmarthen(?) Drove over Black Mountain (I think it's called that). Such a beautiful part of the world. Welcome and hope you find what you are looking for.
Hi mate. Yeah west Wales is a beautiful place. Carmarthen is lovely. Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Yep, know what it's like to repeatedly try and fail at moderation. Glad to hear you're going to tackle it head-on now.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bluebird! You can definitely knock it on the head and live booze free.

I drank my whole life and SR helped me get and stay sober. In the end, it was just a bad habit that didn't make me feel good in the least. I had used it to cope with uncomfortable situations, but all it was doing was making everything more difficult. We know you can do this!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for both your kind words
Old 06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back BB

I know they would be beneficial but feel that keeping in touch with like minded people on sites like this will be enough.
I'm not trying to beat you down or bear you ill will - but you've tried this before - several times.

Whats going to be the essential difference this time?

I'm not saying you need AA or SMART or LifeRing or AVRT although I do think any of those approaches would help - I am saying you need change.

If the weekends are your problem - start planning now for a sober weekend.

I had to completely change my life and my circle of friends - I was prepared to do that to get sober.

Think about what you're prepared to do, for you and your family.

D
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
I fully understand your point of view but I'm willing to give this one more try my way. I hope to prove you wrong in a good way
I'd be very happy knowing I'm wrong.

If/when you come around to accepting help for your condition, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey buddy fancy seeing you here....You know I got ya back if you need a push bro...Hope you are well mate..
Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back BB

I'm not trying to beat you down or bear you ill will - but you've tried this before - several times.

Whats going to be the essential difference this time?

I'm not saying you need AA or SMART or LifeRing or AVRT although I do think any of those approaches would help - I am saying you need change.

If the weekends are your problem - start planning now for a sober weekend.

I had to completely change my life and my circle of friends - I was prepared to do that to get sober.

Think about what you're prepared to do, for you and your family.

D
I fully understand you're not having a go don't worry, thanks for your honesty. The weekends are the only issue, I need to plan more and this time I feel I actually want to give up wheras before I hadn't really wanted to deep down
Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Hey buddy fancy seeing you here....You know I got ya back if you need a push bro...Hope you are well mate..
Yeah I know fella. Really appreciate it. You're a good man