Notices

With drawl/possible mental illness

Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

With drawl/possible mental illness

I think I went into with drawl two weeks ago or I have a mental illness (possibly schizophrenia..my mother and her brother are schizophrenia). (I drink a 20-26oz vodka daily and a bottle of wine daily)

I was extremely paranoid and shaky and needed someone to assist me out of my building I was so convinced my delusions were real. I called my parent, packed a suitcase and started withdrawing for 4-5 days.. it was pretty bad.. I was completely delusional and out of whack and told them embarrassing personal aspects of my life and was a huge emotional mess. I should of been in professional care I think. I freaked out calling with drawl management number on day 3 or 4 (don't remember) and they told me to relax and watch a movie or take a bath.

I live alone and actually believed people were coming to harm me, people were writing things about me on online forums, people were watching me through my computer camera on webcam even though it was off, someone hacked my iPhone and computers. Then 3 days in the news on the television was about me, the newspapers were clues someone was coming after me, people were trying to find me, a lot of scary delusional thoughts. Has this happened to anyone else? It was really scary, foggy and confusing.

I got an addictions assessment this week and have the proper referrals now to get a psychiatric assessment lined up and an outreach worker. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had similar extreme paranoid symptoms in with drawl? I didn't have many physical symptoms but mostly mental. This is the first time I experienced this "being sober"/without any alcohol. I've been steady drinking for almost 4 years self medicating. Now my family is trying to run my life for me and make plans for me.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I haven't experienced what you describe, but it's very possible to have symptoms that mimic psychosis (hallucinations, confusion, etc.) in alcohol withdrawal.

I'm glad you've decided to see someone, though, just to be sure.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
I think I went into with drawl two weeks ago or I have a mental illness (possibly schizophrenia..my mother and her brother are schizophrenia). (I drink a 20-26oz vodka daily and a bottle of wine daily)

I was extremely paranoid and shaky and needed someone to assist me out of my building I was so convinced my delusions were real. I called my parent, packed a suitcase and started withdrawing for 4-5 days.. it was pretty bad.. I was completely delusional and out of whack and told them embarrassing personal aspects of my life and was a huge emotional mess. I should of been in professional care I think. I freaked out calling with drawl management number on day 3 or 4 (don't remember) and they told me to relax and watch a movie or take a bath.

I live alone and actually believed people were coming to harm me, people were writing things about me on online forums, people were watching me through my computer camera on webcam even though it was off, someone hacked my iPhone and computers. Then 3 days in the news on the television was about me, the newspapers were clues someone was coming after me, people were trying to find me, a lot of scary delusional thoughts. Has this happened to anyone else? It was really scary, foggy and confusing.

I got an addictions assessment this week and have the proper referrals now to get a psychiatric assessment lined up and an outreach worker. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had similar extreme paranoid symptoms in with drawl? I didn't have many physical symptoms but mostly mental. This is the first time I experienced this "being sober"/without any alcohol. I've been steady drinking for almost 4 years self medicating. Now my family is trying to run my life for me and make plans for me.

Thanks.
Those are all serious symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and doing it on your own, outside of a medical environment may not be a wise choice, because with the severity of your symptoms, you need to get some medical attention. If they are subsiding, then stick to what you are doing, but if they arent, then you need a medical detox for your own safety. Alcohol withdrawal is NO joke, and can be scary as hell. I didnt enjoy mine, but its a must to get to the good life
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I hope it settles for you soon. It sounds like you are now getting professional help.

Whatever is going on- I think alcohol is a poison/toxin so getting it out of your system might help
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like the dts to me. Careful, withdrawal from alcohol is life threatening. Most dangerous withdrawal. R u through it now? Def see that doc, I would.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am supposed to be contacted by an addictions councillor by tomorrow who will then get me into a psychiatric assessment with a psychiatrist.

I also have a physical examination this week with my new physician I got last week.

I'm not having delusions anymore (it went on for 4-5 days) - craving alcohol.. BAD.

Does anyone have any experience with addictions councillors?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hhhh
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you've been consuming that volume of alcohol daily for years, your very life is in jeopardy. You need professional help, maybe 24/7; are there goverment-funded detox centers in your country which you can go to?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went through the exact same thing. Very scary but remember you are not mentally ill, it's withdrawal and will pass when you have stopped drinking for a period of time. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember the paranoia. I locked myself in my apartment and every time I heard my neighbors I thought it was the police coming to arrest me. For what I don't know. I had no emotion but severe panic and paranoia. I was delusional and the days were so confusing. I ended up going to the ER where I hallucinated seeing people and hearing voices. I almost died from it. I would constantly check my phone and check the local news to see if there was anything about me. Really strange. I have a history of anxiety and mental illness. For some reason I went thru this detox nightmare about 4 more times until I said ok enough. I don't know why my brain thinks I can drink normally.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
In the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had similar extreme paranoid symptoms in with drawl? I didn't have many physical symptoms but mostly mental.
Have you attended AA meetings in your area. I can certainly identify with you.

AA's HOW IT WORKS states "There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest." .

I think if you attended some "open" meetings where there are speakers (you don't have to talk or participate) that you would hear your story told often.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went through a similar situation a few month ago; I reached out for help for my addiction and I also reached out for psychiactric help.

Now I go to AA, see a counselor and I'm also seeing a psychiatrist. My paranoia and delusions were caused by a huge build up of stress and anxiety, that I was numbing with booze.

The delusions were very frightening and I was convinced they were real - it really really felt real while I was going through it, and they were very similar to yours. I was being watched, all my email and computer was hacked, I was being followed, people could read my thoughts. But that was all in my head, it wasn't actually happening, and I was so relieved to learn that, and BELIEVE it.

I had to go to the hospital for a couple of weeks, because I called the police in my delusional state and they took my to the psychiactric emergency intake. When I was in the hospital, I started to take medication for the paranoia and within 6 weeks, it was fully working. All delusions gone, I was FREE.

When I got out of the hospital, I started to see my counselor more frequently, went to AA, got a sponsor I could trust, and really worked on staying sober, one day at a time.

The psychiatrist is planning on tapering me off the medication in a year, thinks the delusions were an isolated psychotic break and not a permanent mental illness.

I'm glad I sought help from everywhere and accepted the help that was offered, because things have gotten so much better. I am free of those delusions, free to go where I want and do what I want and I am working through my feelings and emotions instead of numbing them.

Congratulations for looking for help, it does get better
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I remember the paranoia. I locked myself in my apartment and every time I heard my neighbors I thought it was the police coming to arrest me. For what I don't know. I had no emotion but severe panic and paranoia. I was delusional and the days were so confusing. I ended up going to the ER where I hallucinated seeing people and hearing voices. I almost died from it. I would constantly check my phone and check the local news to see if there was anything about me. Really strange. I have a history of anxiety and mental illness. For some reason I went thru this detox nightmare about 4 more times until I said ok enough. I don't know why my brain thinks I can drink normally.
I've been going through this since Sunday .I hate it so bad.