Notices

Terror, Regret, Remorse

Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terror, Regret, Remorse

I associate those three words with the consequences of drinking alcohol. Now that I am sober, I don't wake up in the middle of the night feeling those feelings, and that is a wonderful thing.

Do you remember being panicked in the middle of the night? Think about that the next time the thought of a drink pops into your head. We never think about how bad alcohol actually makes us feel when we set off to drink.

"Playing the tape through" really works, especially if you are a logical person. And as long as you do not take the first drink, the actual craving does not kick in- it is just your mind playing tricks on you.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Now that the cravings for booze has practically vanished, playing the tape all the way through has become a necessity, and you are right is does work. Elisabeth you are FANTASTIC.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yes! I used to wake up in the middle of the night with panic. It could be about anything. And sometimes it was very bad. I also would have nightmares. Bad ones. My wife would have to wake me out of them most of the time. I am 210 days sober today and I have not had a nightmare or a mid-night panic attack in about 6 months. I am SO glad to be free from the chains of alcohol.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The anxiety was always the worst for me..... I'm grateful I don't have to wake up dreading the day like I used to. Playing the tape all the way through saved me from caving many, many times.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I came into the rooms I had a closet full of skeletons. They left me alone for the first week or two and I began to hope that I might get away with just ignoring them, dismissing them as part of a past life - not my responsibility.

Then they began to make their presence felt, visiting me just as I tried to get to sleep after a reasonably sucessful sober day. They robbed me of sleep, gave me the sweats and made my stomach churn.

My days started to go off too, probably due to the lack of sleep and I began to conclude that my old pattern was repeating itself. Every time I had stopped drinking before, I felt good for a few days and then became progressively more uncomfortable until a drink was all that would offer relief.

Then there was a change. for the first time I felt the need to take certain steps which I had hoped to avoid. I took step 5 and slept like a baby. And have had no problem with the skeletons since then.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The utter dread of facing the day... the crippling anxiety. We are lucky that we don't EVER have to feel that awful again. Elisabeth, this was a much needed reminder for me tonight. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Do you remember being panicked in the middle of the night? Think about that the next time the thought of a drink pops into your head. We never think about how bad alcohol actually makes us feel when we set off to drink.
Actually NO, I don't remember what it was like. That's why I like to hop on here and try to refresh myself. My life had gotten pretty crazy and out of control, and as crazy as it was, it seems like some other life that I never knew. Sometimes I read my old threads and think I am reading about someone else's life...LOL... Coming here and working in a rehab lets me know how bad things can get, so I know I never want to go that route again.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is one of the worst backfires of alcohol. Your good and wasted , getting tired, and wham , passed out. Then all of a sudden ( 4 or 5 hours later ) pop....eyes wide open . Now you know your screwed. Good luck getting back to a " deep" haha " passed out sleep. I understand its a blood sugar thing, alcohol rebound. As my pastor says, " If you get your kick, your going to get the Kick Back !" Many of us know that the middle of the night rebounding from alcohol withdraw can be a dreadful place indeed.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!!!

Yes that middle ground when you're not drunk anymore and not hungover yet. A horrible , horrible place to be. I like waking up without that initial panick of " What happened last night and what did I do or say?" I used to wake up in damage control mode and pretty much stayed there until passed out again.... And repeat.... And repeat....