Notices

Book: Almost Alcoholic

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book: Almost Alcoholic

I saw a book at the library today titled ALMOST ALCOHOLIC. What a title. Apparently there is a series of "Almost" books written by medical professionals.

Just thought some people may be interested in the book because I'm always seeing "Am I an alcoholic?" posts on SR.

I haven't read the book, but you can read reviews on Amazon.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IMHO most Doctors would say to most functioning alcoholics that they have a drinking problem but would avoid labeling a patient as an alcoholic unless they presented with serious acute symptoms of alcohol abuse and showed signs and symptoms of chronic disease caused or exacerbated by alcohol (liver disease, mental illness), these occurrence repeated themselves and the trend was progressive. By all accounts I looked at the questionnaires used to assess alcohol consumption as a possible indicator of whether I was an alcoholic and was satisfied to call myself a "Lager Lout", "P*ss Head", "Party Pig", "Yob", "Drunken Larrikin" to "Almost Alcoholic" and my favorite "High Functioning Alcoholic" being a sort of serious heavy drinker that has a silent temperament and sophisticated predilection to shun others and drink alone to the point of inebriation. None of these were examples of brown paper bag alkies in my book but drinking had stopped being funny by that stage. I think it hit me when I realized I was powerless over alcohol and my life had become unmanageable because of it. No more doubt, no more rationalization, no more denial or wishful thinking just the cold grey light of day and the naked truth.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI. I remember things said when I came around like this: No one wants an alcoholic/drunk, the medical community, the police, the bars, many times the family, many churches gave up and the general population. Except AA where all are welcome unless disruptive. Oh I forgot the detoxes and rehabs for the $$$ and are based on AA principals. BE WELL
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A little like being "almost pregnant."
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read this book, and, though I tend to call myself an almost alcoholic, I've decided that since alcohol was causing me problems, it's best to avoid it completely.

I'm thinking that if you think you have enough of a problem to read that book, as I did, it's a problem worth dealing with regardless of if you call it almost alcoholism or a purple toad