Notices

Pets for people in recovery

Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets for people in recovery

I notice a lot of people at this website have pets. Cats and dogs mostly. I figured that couldn't be just a coincidence. Pets are great for people in recovery. I've been thinking about getting a pair of brother kittens. I am a little hesitant because I don't know what to do with them if I go travel somewhere. I love dogs but I think they are too much for me right now. If you have a pet please tell me how they helped you in your recovery. Did they help you with loneliness, anxiety, depression etc ? I'm still not sure if I'm going to take them.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had dogs when I drank. I had dogs (six) when I quit. I love my fur companions. But I hesitate to give my dogs any credit for my recovery.

If you love animals, get a pet. Cats are awesome. Bring them into your life because you love them and because of the joy they bring.

But don't make them your recovery tools.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi cabo. I'd suggest you not take on too much responsibility - but as long as you're really ready it could be a great thing.

I was drinking when I got my mastiff puppy (in avatar). She was one of the reasons I got sober - because I was short changing her and not giving her the attention she deserved. Caring for her as I got sober was a chore in the early days - but it did give me something to focus on besides myself. While I was feeding, walking, and loving her I wasn't obsessing about 'not drinking'. They send animals in to hospitals and retirement homes as therapy pets (mostly dogs but some cats). They have been proven to help people feel better in general. The kitty brothers sound great - as long as they aren't too much, too soon.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My two dogs and one cat are not my recovery tools but it was a big reason to get sober so I'd start taking better care of them. And with my critters I never feel alone.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dogs don't do much for my recovery, but they sure make my life a lot more enjoyable. It's nice having a furry creature happy to see you each time you come through the door.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have read that pets can help people with stress, depression & anxiety, but I wouldn't get one for those reasons. They do make things lighter & happier, but they are a commitment you should only take on when your ready. I love my dog to pieces though, he does make me appreciate the little things in life which does help my sobriety.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You guys are right. I shouldn't get a pet expecting them to help me with my recovery. I think I'm going to get them anyway
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It certainly can't hurt to have something to love and care about.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

My dog and cat are my best buds. I didn't get them for the purpose of getting sober, but they have made my journey so much easier. Loving and taking care of them has gotten me out of my own head. My dog is actually going into the same pet therapy business that Hevyn mentioned. I give a big thumbs up for getting the kitty bros.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whatever decision you make, do not buy on impulse. Research what kind of pet you want. Cats are a bit more independent than dogs.

If you are interested in a registered purebred go to the national club websites and read about the breed. Find out what kind health problems they have (and any dog/cat will have them). Find out whether you can cope with hair or not. Things to consider: size, energy requirements, type of coat, temperament (most important), health problems.

PM me if you want help in find a dog breed. I have found that cats that have a lot of gray fur (if not entirely gray) have the most pleasing temperaments.

Many clubs have rescues that are in need of a forever home.

Remember - pets are expensive. They need food and vet care, as well as time, energy and love. Sometimes a lot of vet care.

I am currently owned by 4 cats and 2 dogs. Never a dull moment.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
My dog and cat are my best buds. I didn't get them for the purpose of getting sober, but they have made my journey so much easier. Loving and taking care of them has gotten me out of my own head.
This is how it is for me too. I love my dogs happy smile and my kitties cuddle with me at night. My one cat is a real corker and she makes me laugh everyday.

I talk to them all the time. They are my sounding board when I am trying to work through something and saying it out loud makes me think better.

I am now taking my dog for a short walk every night and I am going to try and take her to the dog park every Sunday. She gets me up and out. I am finally thinking of her well being, and mine, instead of sitting the whole weekend on the couch getting drunk.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am an animal lover. Due to circumstances, when I got clean and sober for real, the only pets I had were goldfish and a salamander. Nearly a year later I was in a circumstance where I could have a furry pet.

I was sober, but due to OTHER circumstances extremely isolated and lonely. I got a rabbit to address that. That was a huge help, a real sanity saver for me, to have something fuzzy and adorable to come home to. It was good for me to have something to care for, and laugh at. He is awesome. By helping me with depression, and stress it does have a positive effect on my life overall, so in that sense it supports recovery.

I have had animals my entire life, so I knew for real and true what is involved in caring for one, the joys and challenges etc, and that helped me choose the right pet for my circustances at this time.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have 4 dogs, the mama and papa and 2 daughters. I love them very much. They are a huge responsibility, be sure you can take them to the vet as needed. I did not realize how expensive dogs can be. I have always taken great care of my dogs because they are my family. They are a lot of fun and love returning the affection I give them.
I had a gray cat for 15 years and was always a cat person until I got my Thai Ridgebacks. Cats are more independent and can be left alone for a longer period of time than most dog breeds.
My dogs need a lot of attention. I even researched the breed for five years before I purchased them. You can not believe everything you read I thought I was prepared but I wasn't, even after 5 years of research. I do not recommend anyone having more than one Thai Ridgeback, they are very jealous of each other.
Seven years later I would not change a thing. However, I have learned a great deal more with first hand experience!!
The cats should work out fine and they are more independent and less needy. In my experience anyway
Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

P.S. dogs love you unconditional and were always there for me in my recovery. I had them before I got sober and our bond has just gotten stronger. Yes, u am a huge fan of all animals!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pets are awesome. I neglected my cat terribly while still drinking, and I felt really guilty about that. However, it has been awesome to see the change in him since I have been in recovery. It is so nice to know that I am giving him what he deserves now. I can't take back the way that I treated him before, but I can do my best to make sure that it never happens again. I agree that pets should not be used specifically for recovery, but they can be a big help. Good luck.