Notices

PAWS kicking into high gear

Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS kicking into high gear

Headache yesterday, extreme fatigue today, and just now I confused the word "here" with "hear" in a posting. 3-6 months until symptoms peak? But I wasn't drinking that much when I quit!

I am an idiot for not addressing this sooner. No, willful is the word. I've known for a while that I needed to quit. Alcohol is dangerous and insidious.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

instead of guessing and dx'ing yourself, why not make an appointment with your primary physician. They can order bloodwork and other testing and perhaps prescribe HRT to help even you out.

taking a multi-vitamin and eating right is definitely a good thing, but you would probably feel less worried if you had a doctor tell you that you will be fine. you seem to be working yourself into a froth?

I drank for 25 years, never really experienced any PAWS symptoms....and my menopause issues greatly diminished when I stopped drinking too.

congrats on your 2 weeks!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

PAWS, for those who get it (and it's not everyone), normally kicks in after 30 days GD - it's post withdrawal...chances are this is still just generic withdrawal and recuperation.

I did a number on my head too - I drank for years - it's gonna take a little more time to get things right in there

Fandy makes a great point tho - why not see a Doc?

D
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just had a complete physical in February. Only problem that showed up was anemia, which I am taking iron supplements for.

I didn't realize that withdrawal lasted so long.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I usually don't call it withdrawal cos semantic types jump on me LOL, but we beat up our bodies and minds pretty good when drinking.

Recuperation takes a while.

D
Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel better knowing that I might not have to endure PAWS. Will see where I am at 30 days. Thank you

I am so glad that I found SR. It was the final push that I needed to make the sobriety commitment.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
I just had a complete physical in February. Only problem that showed up was anemia, which I am taking iron supplements for.

I didn't realize that withdrawal lasted so long.
If you are experiencing problems with perimenopause or other issues, you should tell your Ob-gyno how much you drank as it definitely affects how your body deals with it....

Heavy drinking raises your BP, promotes weight gain, increases your glucose levels (which makes you feel very tired and could be pre-diabetes with the sugar in alcohol and if any weight gain as in my case) and skews your hormone levels...I was actually able to stop HRT after 3 months of no alcohol.

everyone is different, IDK how much you drank or your history, age, general health, etc...but i'm sure you will be feeling a bit better each day...16 days is a great start. congrats and be kind to yourself.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 months sober PAWS?

Hi I'm sober 2 months and 2days PAWS is killing me! Very dizzy , nightmares, scared, afraid to go out can't coordinate look like still drinking.......so scared any helpful suggestions?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Eat well, drink plenty of water, be nice to yourself, know you are recovering and keep moving forwards, not backwards. This won't last and you will be so grateful to be sober and know you have healed. Every day is (was) different for me in the first year, but it was an experience I am happy to have been through. Kinda sealed the deal on returning to drinking for me!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of symptoms peaking at 3-6 months, maybe that's true for some people but I have not heard that and it wasn't true for me. Instead, there's kind of a seamless transition from "acute withdrawal" to "post-acute withdrawal", and it gradually gets better but can flare up periodically and feel like it's getting worse. Hang in there and it will all go away in time. If there's something other than PAWS going on, only your doc can say.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi lilyazalea and welcome!

Here's a link to a helpful article about PAWS which has made the rounds around here often but is worth posting again as long as anyone is looking for information and relief from PAWS-type symptoms:

PAWS | Digital Dharma

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyazalea View Post
Hi I'm sober 2 months and 2days PAWS is killing me! Very dizzy , nightmares, scared, afraid to go out can't coordinate look like still drinking.......so scared any helpful suggestions?
Back in May 2013, I had other health issues lurking that neither I nor my doctor detected. The anemia was an ominous sign, and it had nothing to do with drinking.

Welcome, Lilyazalea!

You will regain your energy and confidence over time if you remain sober. It improves gradually over months and years.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PAWS is different things to different people

Hi there,

While some people never get PAWS, some people get it terribly. I find these forums are not particularly tailored to the PAWS experience. Many people just experience it as some grumpiness or forgetfulness. Me, I have had extreme PAWS that has lasted into this, my 15th month.

I have had dry heaving, bouts of paranoia that somebody is poisoning me, two fevers with no aching or sickness that disappeared in a matter of hours, bouts of frequent urination, malaise, anxiety, coordination problems, insomnia, fatigue, etc. All those are on the decline and I'm getting my life back. Today is my first day calling in sick in months, but after a great stretch of two months, I was parked over a garbage can dry heaving in front of my concerned wife and kids.

If you find your PAWS to be anything like mine, you might want to check out a forum for benzodiazepine addicts called benzo buddies. Alcohol and benzos work on the same neurotransmitters and affect your nervous system in many of the same ways.

People who have never experienced bad PAWS will often assume you have a medical condition. I have been given a clean bill of health but my list of symptoms leads people to think there is something else. Some of us just don't get off so easy.

Anyway, good luck and even though it might get worse, it will eventually get better. I never thought it would, but here I am.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had medium to serious PAWS for one calendar year.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ttamelbon

yes, I've read many stories here and it's clear the withdrawal from benzoes can be protracted and it can often be very rough.

My very best wishes to you - I hope whats ahead will be better than what's behind

D