Notices

Something "Romantic" about it!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Something "Romantic" about it!

I am the only one who finds something "Romantic" about being Alcoholic.. The lifestyle that goes with it really appeals to me, It sounds messed up I know but it's sometimes how I feel..
Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not so much with been an alcoholic, but I certainly was drawn to drugs because of the "cool" factor of the drug subculture. Of course, once I was an addict and realized it, it wasn't so cool.

So what's so romantic about alcoholism? I think your view of the lifestyle will change when you get some sobriety under your belt.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's like the whole Sex,Drugs and Rock n Roll thing I guess that appeals to me! I hate the lows of being Alcoholic but the highs are appealing.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of the best quotes I've ever heard regarding alcoholism, and it just so happens to be from an SR member:

"I liked drinking when it was voluntary, not so much when it became mandatory." - Itchy

Think about it, NateBland.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that acting responsible seems to bore me at times. Sadly, I think that I used to seek drama sometimes.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally know what you mean! There was a weird "coolness" and romance I associate with alcohol and my other love, heroin. Maybe I've read too many novels or seen too many films glamorizing it because the stark reality of withdrawl and the desperation of constantly needing more was anything but sexy. Not to mention that physically I looked dead. Yesterday someone told me I looked like a 50's model - I had my hair done like a pinup and a nice dress on. It occurred to me that I actually look a lot better now. As far as the lifestyle, yea I miss living on the edge sometimes but I hated the consequences. And there were always consequences in the end.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's the same romantic feeling as the love of an abusive partner. You know it is destructive, but you keep going back for more abuse.

To borrow an AA phrase, I have to "play the tape through." I have to remember how short the high lasts and how long the hangover, upset stomach, sleeplessness, shame and guilt last.

Fortunately for me, I have some tee-totaling Christian relatives who have never had a drop, nor never thought of a drop. I have seen them having so much fun in life without it, being to productive, getting through tough times with God instead of trying to with the bottle. Those are the thoughts I need to romanticize to help get me out of relapse row.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to romanticize drinking when I was younger. I read a lot of Charles Bukowski (a "laureate of American lowlife" TIME), watched the movies that glorified drinking, etc. But over time you begin to realize that you are wasting your life. Besides what alcohol did to my life, (or better, what I ended up NOT doing), I remember two things that made me realize that it was time for me to stop drinking - When I read the Paul Williams quote, "You know you're an alcoholic when you misplace things like a decade," and when I watched Charles Bukowski kick his wife repeatedly in a dunken fit in the documentary Bukowski: Born Into This.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Making a fool of myself, forgetting my entire night, stupid fights, weight gain, poisoning my organs, spending too much money...
It just happened. I never wanted it. Yes, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to glamorize alcoholism.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know what you mean too. For me it's the notion of living in the now, for the moment and f*ck the consequences, the insights and conversation and conviviality and wildness of (some) moments drunk/high. As the others have said we all know the less sexy aspects - weight gain, pebble-dashing the toilet bowl in the morning, losing wallets, drunk driving, hurting the people you love, retarding your creativity and ambition. BUt I get what you mean, I just need to re-frame what I think 'cool' is!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't I kinda grew up with rock n roll bands where being an alcoholic or a drug taker was cool and for them there didn't seem to be many conquests with the law and it seemed some what accepted among people. Even Today you see famous people getting away with it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post
I used to romanticize drinking when I was younger. I read a lot of Charles Bukowski (a "laureate of American lowlife" TIME), watched the movies that glorified drinking, etc. But over time you begin to realize that you are wasting your life. Besides what alcohol did to my life, (or better, what I ended up NOT doing), I remember two things that made me realize that it was time for me to stop drinking - When I read the Paul Williams quote, "You know you're an alcoholic when you misplace things like a decade," and when I watched Charles Bukowski kick his wife repeatedly in a dunken fit in the documentary Bukowski: Born Into This.
Here another Bukowski reader..

In my drunken episodes I would watch this video quite often, to enhance the assumption that being a drunkard is supposedly something to be proud about:

The Charles Bukowski Tapes: Number 10 - YouTube

Luckily I think different these days.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NateBland View Post
I am the only one who finds something "Romantic" about being Alcoholic.. The lifestyle that goes with it really appeals to me, It sounds messed up I know but it's sometimes how I feel..
Yes, I get it. I once tried my hand at writing and other creative endeavors. I think of drinking and drugs and my thoughts turn to Charles Bukowski, Hunter Thompson, Hemingway, Jim Carroll and Truman Copate on the literary end, and Jim Morrison, Keith Richards and Janis Joplin on the R&R end.

But it's an illusion IMO. Addiction either ended their lives much too young, or greatly diminished the quality of their work.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

I'd get this fatalistic view back in my drinking days (wow, a whole 2.5 weeks ago!). I'd think, "everything is turning to sh*t with the environment and economy and stuff, so why not 'enjoy' myself in the meantime." Seemed like a good excuse, and even if it didn't, I'd drink anyway.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think I know what you mean... certain films and books don't help that suffering genius idea... and I think I used to feel that way when drinking was problematic but not as bad as it ended up.

Since sobering up I keep seeing poor, lost looking, miserable people either buying lots of booze at 9am or walking down the street with white lightening. Makes me sad, and I'd love to reach out to them but it's just become such the 'norm' in poor areas of the UK.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I agree. Early on for sure. But as time goes on, and I get more days in, it becomes less so. Over 6 months and now when I watch movies that glamorize drinking and drug use, it almost makes me nauseous.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Sorry, but no. Noting romantic for me in being an alcoholic. Living life sober is what i call romantic....
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not the only one.

Joe Walsh says all his idols were drinkers and drug users...what he forgot is they're all dead....

Drink long enough, drug hard enough and I guarantee you'll see past the romance Nate...

It's not a great way to do it tho, trust me.

Be smart enough now to call out the romantic side of addiction for the BS it is.

D
Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Not so much now as early in sobriety but every once in a while I catch my self. I think it's more about when i was young or some other crap. Truth is it kicked my ass and just about killed me. There was nothing romantic about my life as an active alcoholic and junky.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When I honestly look back at my drinking days, there were some things I liked about it and others things I did not like.
A CBA (Cost-Benefit Analysis Tool) explores the pro and cons of addiction with some helpful suggestion on how to decide that sobriety is the best option by far.

Originally Posted by wanttobepure
I don't I kinda grew up with rock n roll bands where being an alcoholic or a drug taker was cool and for them there didn't seem to be many conquests with the law and it seemed some what accepted among people. Even Today you see famous people getting away with it.
Some people drink normally, and I normally drink. So its best for me to concern myself with what I can accept and avoid comparisons.