Notices

Good things happen to those that persevere

Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good things happen to those that persevere

Today is day 157 for me, and I've never felt better.

My road to recovery began in a very dark place. I had recently lost a job, entered a deep depression, lost my fiance of eight years, and found myself on the wrong side of a jail door.

I hate to admit it, but my arrest for disorderly conduct and the following week in jail was the best thing to ever happen to me. The judge ordered alcohol treatment, I committed to A.A., and good things started happening to me for the first time in years.

I discovered that I wasn't just an alcoholic, but that the driving force behind my addiction was the desire to medicate my anxiety. Therapy, treatment, and psychiatry have been the vehicles that transported me from suicidal ideations, hopelessness, and self-loathing to a Spiritual Awakening that gives me hope, strength, and purpose.

Early in my recovery it was almost impossible for me to conceive of the idea that I could re-enter the workforce. I had too much baggage; too many issues I would have to explain away in an interview that would disqualify me immediately in the eyes of "normies." As a result, I could not bring myself to even look at job postings, much less submit a resume. Graduating from the second phase of my outpatient treatment program two weeks ago, after completing the 5th - 7th steps, changed my outlook dramatically. I suddenly had a surge of confidence.

I am proud to say that yesterday I had an extremely successful phone interview with a recruiter for a company that has an open consulting position that comprises what is essentially my dream job. This is the kind of work I always wanted to do in my field, but was too afraid to pursue while drinking; too racked with doubt and the fear that I would just screw up another facet of my career because of my disease.

While I still need to get through a round of in-person interviews before an offer is made, I overcame the fear of my past and was honest about why I was terminated from my last position. After explaining my piece, the recruiter didn't bat an eye and actually commended me for my honesty. Prior to the interview, I was on the fence about whether I should tell the truth. Prayer and reflection on the 10th step helped me self-discover what I needed to do.

This job may not work out in the end, but I am confident now that if it doesn't, it's not something I would drink over. What a drastic change from just six months ago when a bad interview experience led to a three-day blackout binge that culminated in jail. That legal case is resolving in my favor as well; if I successfully complete a diversionary program my charges will be dismissed in a year.

My advice to newcomers is to decide early if recovery is indeed what you want for yourself. Then do whatever is necessary to ensure success. Step outside of yourself and make yourself vulnerable. Ask for help, your life depends on it.

Thank you to each and every member of this forum. You have all been instrumental in my success thus far. Good things happen to those that persevere.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great post. Way to go on 157 days!! Well done.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep it going Charlie

D
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I got the dreaded decline email from the company recruiter today saying that they were pursuing another candidate. It was initially upsetting as I had worked myself up about this opportunity and felt like I had built good rapport. I had to consciously step back, say the Serenity Prayer, and motivate myself to focus on other opportunities. I am accepting that this is something I cannot change, but I can change the number of applications I have out for other positions.

I have no desire to drink. I am keeping busy trolling for positions, updating LinkedIn, and sipping on Yerba Mate. Thank you all for your "thumbs-up" on this thread.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Almost half a year... Looking forward to getting to where you're at!

I'm job searching too; don't let it get you down... Serenity Prayer helps me keep things in perspective...
Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today I received a another surprise email from the recruiter. Apparently the same position is now open in another town (6 hours away) and that office is very interested in speaking with me.

Wow. I started feeling a bit down on myself throughout the day yesterday and that has now lifted. The location isn't ideal for me, but this company plans on doubling in size over the next five years so there will definitely be opportunities to transfer to a different market in the future.

What a "God moment" this is! Thank you higher power!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Yup - a God shot indeed, by the sounds of it. Glad you kept open to it, and more importantly, took the initial bad news with a healthy perspective.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Charlie i am so happy to hear of the transformation and the path you are on. Keep on rockin
Old 05-19-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yeah this is marvellous stuff..and a fine example of what happens when a person commits to recovery...onya mate
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your progress in recovery! Btw, I actually received that dreaded letter from my previous employer too, only to get a call a week later, another interview and an offer. If its meant to be, its meant to be.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey Charlie!

I remember you from when you used to post to the December thread! Congratulations on the continued sobriety, the changes in your thinking, and the job prospects!

Hope you check in w/the class if you get a chance. It's always great to hear from old friends.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"While I still need to get through a round of in-person interviews before an offer is made, I overcame the fear of my past...

This job may not work out in the end, but I am confident now that if it doesn't, it's not something I would drink over. What a drastic change from just six months ago when a bad interview experience led to a three-day blackout binge..."

Wow man, I'm in just about the same position as you - both now, and then. I also have a round of in-person interviews here for what is essentially a dream position. But, just like you, I don't have the anxiety or fear of failure and disappointment. I am confident, will do my best, and hope for the best. That is all I can do, and if it doesn't work out, then something else will. Last year, I went through a slew of interviews last around this time - I was drunk or immensely hung over (probably both) DURING the interviews, and needless to say I fell flat on my face.

Thanks for sharing this and allowing me to share also. It feels good to be able to talk about "real life" sometimes, and watch things come together. Sounds like you are living in the present, and that you are starting to feel like everything will be okay. Glad you could celebrate the achievement and share it, thanks again.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks bigsombrero!

Congratulations on your interviews! Yeah, it is so strange to be absent the "fear of failure and disappointment" that plagued me in the past. I honestly had myself convinced that alcohol was medicine and that it was treating those issues. In reality, it was compounding the problems in my life.

If I recall correctly, you were trying to figure out if you should stay in the city you are in now or if you want to move elsewhere... What is the verdict?

Best of luck to you with this job opportunity! If it works out for the best for both of us, we should have a virtual toast to celebrate. Non-alcoholic beverages, of course!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

CharlieNoogan, Today is day 157 for me, and I've never felt better? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Yes, definitely, good things come to those who persevere. So happy for you.