Notices

Hobbies

Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hobbies

Just curious because I've been pretty stagnant lately (not feeling like DOING anything but also not feeling like a drink just listless...) what new or old hobbies has everyone taken up in sobriety? Is there anything that you used to do like paint or play sports or play guitar, etc. that you have gotten back into now that you're not drinking? I need inspiration. I'm usually very active and passionate about art, exercise, learning... This is weird. How do I motivate myself to get back into life?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

since i stopped drinking, i took up cooking. i watch the cooking channel and try my luck at different dishes that look good to me. i also started to do sudoku puzzles also in the news paper.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Great question! I have been somewhat depressed lately, so I too have been looking for things that excite me. Aikido (martial art), bike riding, & meditation come to mind as things that I enjoy and help me feel more alive. I've also been learning computer programming which excites me. I used to love doing art too, but lately I am not motivated to do it; I have been wondering if I just do art anyway, would I love it again? I also love doing word puzzles.

I find that allowing myself to surf the internet too long is depressing and triggers cravings.

What small steps can you do towards doing art, exercising, learning, and doing whatever else brings you alive? My suggestion is to pick an activity that might help and break it into small enough steps so that you can begin. If the first step is too intimidating, break it into smaller steps. (or find a less intimidating activity to try)

I find that sometimes I can push myself to do something that I am ambivalent about and it turns out well. But sometimes taking a break and not pushing myself is what I need to do. The trick is finding the balance.

Good luck on finding what brings you more fully alive.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got more heavily into cooking and also started post graduate education.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My main hobby since I got sober is playing the piano - I play for 2 up to 3 hours daily.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Inshore saltwater fishing. I love the ocean and being out in the elements. I didn't fish As much while I was drinking. I didn't feel like getting up in the mornings
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome reply oak - I think today I will either go to the outdoor hardware
store and buy new seedlings to plant in my garden or get my paints out and put on some good tunes! Maybe I just need to get started on something without any particular goal in mind, just to enjoy doing it.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Zumba and jogging (slowly lol), reading, movies.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hiking and reading are my two great passions now. I really like what Oak said about breaking activities into smaller steps. Every time I think I want to try something new, I intimidate myself right out of it!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Reading, walking and biking. Trying to get myself back in shape to ride the bike up hills; I blew out both of my lungs back in the 1980s (ongoing disease issue not related to drinking) so I'm fairly short-winded. But I'm determined to get up the stamina for bike riding.

I would read a lot when I was drunk, too. The drawback was that I couldn't remember a darned thing I had read.