Notices

My Biggest Fear

Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Biggest Fear

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. Sober for 7 days. I joined this forum because for the first time in my life I have decided on abstinence as my goal instead of cutting back my drinking. My biggest fear is that the longer I am sober, the more I will convince myself that I can control my drinking. I hope that reading about the experiences of other forum members will keep me from kidding myself.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Heh-heh. I've been down that road many times. Always ended up in the ditch (metaphorically). I might "control" it for a few days, but I'd soon be back to downing the stuff until drunkeness.

I lost track of how many times that has happened over the years.

In other words, the hooch controls me, not t'other way around...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome GroundhogDay

Nothing keeps me more grounded than coming here to SR.

But, as time goes on, I hope you'll decide you want to be sober above all else - you won't need to guard against relapse because it will cease to be an option

D
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

Welcome GroundhogDay...I just joined yesterday. BTW I love the name because my drinking days were like the movie.

I got sober in 1990 and stayed sober for 7 years. I started drinking again and a year later I went back to AA with my tail between my legs. I stayed sober for another 7 years. I started drinking again and I am now 20 days sober after 7 years of drinking. Both times when I started drinking again I thought I could control it but that was not the case. Maybe for a week...maybe for a month...but each time I went back to drinking heavily with the same problems I had before.

So in my case it didn't matter if I had 7 weeks or 7 years of sobriety, once I started drinking again I ended up in the same bad place. Alcoholism is an incurable disease, but you can live a long happy life with it if you treat the disease. I have experienced living a sober and happy life, but I have also thrown that life aside twice because I stopped treating the disease. Luckily I am stubborn enough not to give up and try again.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go on a week sober.

Lots of reminders on this site as to why ex-alcoholics can't control their drinking if you look around.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, GroundhogDay! Very wise of you to be concerned about that. Knowing it's a possibility will be valuable to you - some are totally unprepared. SR will help you through this time of change in your life - we all understand.

Congratulations on your 7 days! That is great news.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Congrats on 7 days. Any plan of recovery?

I myself like to read recovery memoirs and journal so I don't forget how bad it was. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey buddy way to go on 7 days! I have about 10 weeks and what reminds me the most is this one and simple truth, u will NEVER be able to control ur drinking. Its just that simple. Its been proven over and over again. And it only gets worse. So SURRENDER is the key here. I read this quote somewhere.....total abstinence is easier to maintain than perfect moderation.....once you understand that you can move on with ur life. Alcoholism sucs, dont let it convince you otherwise!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am working hard on the underlying core issues and have a strong support group (not AA, but similar in spirit). What puzzles me is that I seem to want to drink just as much when I feel great as when I am upset. Anything out of the ordinary makes me anxious. Is that weird? Positive change makes me anxious?!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

7 days is a tuff time. Ur gonna go thru some physiological changes and psychological changes as well. Give it time. Its early. In 30 days it will be so much better. Trust me.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Anything out of the ordinary makes me anxious. Is that weird? Positive change makes me anxious?!
I know exactly where you are coming from on this, and I don't think it is weird at all. You are changing a lot of fundamental stuff, and anything like that can bump you out of your comfort zone. The key is to realize, as you do, that this is positive and worth it. Keep going!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Ya hey. I share your anxiety. Believe me.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice work on 7 days.. I'm on 15 and the first 7 were the hardest..